zd30 - issues or not

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan96

Reaction score
Hi All

Just got 30, 000 service at Alltrac Adelaide. The mechanic asked if the turbo wine was always there.

Since I've owned the car (from apx 10,000) the turbo has wined until the engine has warmed up. So I thought it was normal. Does anyone's 3.0L do the same.

Plus, the engine consumed about 1L of oil over 10,000km (didn't do the 5000km change this time). Being my first diesel I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

1L out of 8 odd L isn't much for a new engine???

Cheers

Nathan

at 32000, my turbo went, nissan put another one on underwarranty then it went 24 hours later then the motor shit itself....soo you might want to get it checked.

i would be checking the oil and also air cleaner. i get a bit of a while from the turbo and its usually cause the air filter is dirty or oil is getting past it.
these motors tend to blow a fair bit out the breather, you can loose 1/2-1 litre easy enough.

one thing to watch is sometimes the return line seals leak and put diesel into the engine oil. turbo bearings is generally first to go.

hey joshy b4 your turbo packed it in did you notice anything weird like funny noises or running crap. or did it just go without warning. and when the engine failed 24 hrs after the replacement turbo what was the cause of it.

only the wirring noise of the turbo once the bearing went...no prewarning to it actualy goin. nissan wouldnt tell me y any of it went

So, sounds like the oil consumption is normal via breather/CCV.

But, the turbo may need to be looked at?

Does the whining only while cold symptom make anyone suspect something in particular?

Any diagnoses steps I can go through

Pull the hose off the front of the turbo and check for shaft play on the turbo, you will get a little side to side but front to back should be minimal to none.
Clean up all the oil residue inside of your pipes and the front of the turbo and then check it again after a weeks driving to see how much oil is there.
They pretty much all have a howl whilst cold, ive seen some that are leaking around the manifold that gives a whining sound also, it is also much more noticeable during winter with thicker oils.
Fit a catch can to minimise the blow by oil that enters the front of the turbo.

Joshy Nissan probably didnt tell you cause they were embarrassed that they squashed your oil feed to the turbo and the poor thing ran dry to self destruction.
You arent the first they have done that to either, retards :suicide:

nathan firstly the zd30 only take 6.7L of oil.
so if you have put 8L of oil in your motor, it's not good.
also a mate had 2 mufflers cut out of his exhaust and it start making a weird turbo noise and it was because of the exhaust.

My D22 ZD30 uses minimal oil between changes. It's now on 105,000K and I do the changes at 10,000k intervals. I check the level every month or so and it hardly moves.
I haven't noticed any unusual noises from the turbo at any time.
I use the correct amount of oil though.
Dean

Latest posts

Back