D40 thermo fan broken

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day All.
My first post here, although I've been lurking for a while.
I've got an 07 D40 4L auto Navara, had it since new and its done 130,000 with no real problems. I'm very happy with it and it suits my purpose very well.
The only complaints I have are the fuel economy isn't real good ( but I knew what to expect before I bought it ) and I'm very disillusioned with Nissan Dealers generally.

I do have a small problem which I hope someone can give me some advice on.

Recently the thermo fan mounting disintegrated. Fortunately it didn't do any other damage to the radiator. I was able to get all the broken bits out, the plastic moulding had crumbled ( really crap plastic ) and it had broken a blade off the fan. The mechanical fan is still OK.
I went to my local Nissan dealer and once they discovered it was out of warranty they were largely disinterested, other than to inform me that a new fan assembly costs $1200 plus fitting labour.

I decided to replace the thermo fan with an aftermarket Marradyne 10 inch fan mounted in front of the radiator /condenser using the original temperature sensor off the broken fan.

The problem. To make sure it was going to work I got the old fan and mounted it on a bench and wired it up exactly as it was originally.
I can't get it to come on under any condition. The supply to the fan is controlled by the ECU and reading the manual it suggests there are a number of criteria to make the fan operate, AC on, temperature and Refrigerant pressure are the only ones mentioned.
( I've checked the obvious things fuses etc, the fan works OK if I connect it to 12V )

Has anyone had any experience with these things ?

The manual mentions CAN codes. Can anyone recommend a diagnostic tool / software that will allow me to monitor and test various functions.

Thanks in advance

Richard Puller ( not my real name )

Last edited:
Don't worry about that I never contribute anything useful and it's been working for me for 2 years.

Welcome to the forums.

As far as code readers go, there is heaps on the market. Scangauges are one however they do more than just read codes. There is a wide variety of OBD to iPhone scanners but I don't keep up with them enough to list names. There is also programs like ProTools etc which may not be totally legit to purchase (although you can buy legit copies from the US) which do everything from code read to tune,

I have an SG and ProTools but really don't stuff around with ProTools because there is too much too it and I'm not really interested in tuning and stuff, however SG will read codes as they happen (it can't see into the past though) and their listings of problem codes aren't too bad, most of the time they are fairly accurate.

Hi Richard (Dick) Puller

I can't help you but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

BH

Lol, that is funny.

Sorry mate.

PM Nizzbits on here as he does Nissan parts.

You should be able to just get a new shroud, I know you can with D22's.

Cant see why you couldn't on a D40.

Back