Squeeling fan Belt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The fan belt on my VQ40 V6 is squeeling its guts out continuously and always on the alternator pully.I have just replaced the belt tensioner thinking that could be it. Nope nothing just as bad.
Went and bought belt dressing today and gave that a try. its ok for now but I just know it wont last.
Just ordered 2 x OEM belts from the US via Evilbay for the grand total of $55 Aus delivered . It cost me $65 trade for my last non genuine belt .
Still not sure why its always the alternator pulley. Sure 75,000kms shouldnt have worn out the pulley. I have checked all bearings etc and allignment and everything seems fine.
Got it down to a fine art now lol can swap a belt out in about 10 minutes

I've had a squealy belt for a while now, it's loud when cold and faint when warm but I kept forgetting to get some dry lube from the workshop and whenever the mate hears it he's usually not at work so it get forgotten fairly quickly.

Mine quietens down within about 10 seconds of starting, it's still there after that but it's not really that audible with the bonnet down. Even when cold starting with the window up the squeal is barely loud enough to hear from the drivers seat, it's a little annoying but obviously not annoying enough for me to remember to do something about.

got my 90 000 km service last week and they replaced all the fan belts and now they squel at 2000 rpm and above when cold, never did it before they were replaced

Mine's never been back to Nissan for engine work but it did start around the time they did the bonnet latch recall. I was blaming a bit of missing paint or something like that but maybe I should be blaming Nissan, they made it squeal and it's their subtle way to get me back to the dealership.

I took the newer belt off this morning and put back my original belt as it was so freakin noisey. Old belt still a bit noisy but nothing compared to the other one.

Hurry up Mr Posty and deliver my new belts lol

hey bringing a thread back to life....Aussie Frontier, did the new belts end up fixing the squeel?? cause i have a squeel now and wondering if its as simple as tightening the belt or just buy new belt

I put a new belt on and even put on belt grip but it still squealed. It was only after I took the tops off the ridges on the alternator pulley that it finally shut up and I havent heard a peep from it since

another commen issue is the bearing in the pulley that tightens the main fan belt. youll know if youve done that one, it screams like a bitch.

I put a new belt on and even put on belt grip but it still squealed. It was only after I took the tops off the ridges on the alternator pulley that it finally shut up and I havent heard a peep from it since

ummm im a bit of a mech nub...how do u mean took the tops off the ridges on the alt pulley???

Back