Help Pls. UHF antenna cable routing??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2010 STX D40 King Cab. I've read some other threads that talk about running the UHF radio cable into the cab via a hole in the passenger footwell. I spent some time looking for this today and couldn't find it.

There is a grommet on the passenger side of the firewall that looks like it's for a UHF cable, but I'll be blowed if I can find where it comes into the cabin. Here's a pic...

Photo0525-1.jpg

If anyone can help me out with how I can get my UHF cable into the cab I'd very greatful.

I can't quite pick where that shot is in the engine bay but if you take the grommet out and gently stick a straightened coat hanger in the hole you will find where that hole comes out. I suspect from what I can see that is very close to the grommet I used and it comes out above the carpet in the top of the footwell.

Yep, it's in the top right hand (passenger) corner of the firewall, just left of a wiring loom that I reckon goes into the fuse box

Yeah it looks a bit different to mine (or how I remember mine) but it's got to be fairly close.

Some may disagree with this method and it pays to be careful but for what its worth I'd get a coat hanger (or fairly rigid wire) and gently stuff it down that wiring loom, you'll be able to feel where it comes out in the cabin, it might be awkward to reach but you'll feel it and may need to punch a hole in the back side of the grommet but once down you just tape the UHF cable to the end of the wire and pull it through.

Because the cable is wider than the wire you use as a probe the hole you make will be tight and quite possibly water tight (salastic to fix if needed) and the cable is nicely through the firewall. If you are really worried about the wire you use as a probe wrap a layer of insulation tape around the end so that no sharp edges cut the wires in the wiring loom, however this will make it harder to get through the inside of the grommet if you need to force a bit of a hole.

I did similar with my reverse camera live feed because the grommet I used for the UHF wasn't big enough.

The wiring loom comes out behind the air conditioning box so the cabling runs right above the kick panel on the left footwell. I put my cabling through the main gromet very carefully. I dont think mine had that smaller gromet.
I use an on glass UHF antenna so didnt need to run a bulky coax through the firewall.However all the cables for lights etc goes through.

Looks like the hole I poked my cable through. I managed to push the antenna cable through then reach up behind the glovebox and get hold of it. I pushed a metre or so through.

Finally got it sorted. That hole in my pic is the one to use. I had to remove the plastic door step stuff on the passenger side, then the little kick panel on the left hand side of the footwell, pull back the carpet and the sound deadening stuff and VOILA!! I saw the cable I had poked in. Nasty work to do on a new machine, I always had a little voice saying "it never goes back as well once it's pulled apart from stock" ...

All done now.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention you have to remove the plastic kick panels, done it so many bloody times now it's just automatic. Glad you got it done though, it's not an overly hard job but none the less one of those jobs that's good to have it over and done with.

Atleast you know what to expect for next time and we all know there will be a NEXT TIME :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back