traveling to lake Eyre

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myo13b

Reaction score
G'Day

I'm contemplating traveling to lake Eyre while its full with my parents soon. I'm just wondering how bad are the 4x4 tracks and can a std nav d40 handle it with stock tyres, or would I need 265 dualers/silmilar, would it need more ground clearence than stock. and will I need a snorkel (most likley). from what I read so far 4x4 only tracks are mostly due to slippery, boggy, sandy terrian with alot of corrugation. but what about ruts and rocky terrian where clearance comes into play?

If someone has been there could they help me with some advice on road conditions that I might expect, maybe recommended routes, and must have equipment. I am aware of some of the more obviouse things like tyre repair kits, spare tyre, spare fuel, tools, snatch straps, WATER lots WATER and food

I recall Top Gear Australia (must remember not to watch that next week) taking an XB Falcon & Corolla(?) to Lake Eyre by a very indirect route.

While they did their best to wreck the cars, they got there o.k.

I would like to go too but I think it is best to stay somewhere like William Creek & see it by air. I was thinking of taking a flight when we were in Coober Pedy last year but run out of time. The flights are a fair bit dearer from Coober Pedy as well.

I can't imagine that you will need to modify the D40.

Roads are all great - you won't have a problem. I wouldn't bother changing tyres - check the pressure add some Fuel and head off. We carted a lot of water (260 litres) and ended up releasing 90% of it on the way back - take it easy and you should not have a problem. ideally find a 2nd car to go with you or take a sat nav phone.

lake1.jpg

Parked on Lake Eyre about 5 weeks ago

lake2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mate, if you want to see lake eyre, then head for William creek and take a flight, it's the only way to properly appreciate the lake while it's as full as it is.

I was out there 2 months ago and the birdsville and oodnadatta track were almost like highways, we managed 100+km/hr for most of it. You should be right in a stock d40, but theyre fairly low slung compared to a stock d22, so I'd be looking at suspension and tyres as the first mods. Especially if you start tackling some of the actual off road/track sections and sand hills.

Either way mate, it's an amazing country and well worth the money to go and see!

Roads are all great - you won't have a problem. I wouldn't bother changing tyres - check the pressure add some Fuel and head off. We carted a lot of water (260 litres) and ended up releasing 90% of it on the way back - take it easy and you should not have a problem. ideally find a 2nd car to go with you or take a sat nav phone.

lake1.jpg

Parked on Lake Eyre about 3 weeks ago

lake2.jpg

Oh you lucky bastard - I've gotta get me out there soon!

Thanks guys really appriciate the info, I believe we have decided to fly from newcastle to adelaide then hire a pajero drive to williams creek then a flight over lake Eyre.
Great photos cheers.

lake1.jpg

Parked on Lake Eyre about 5 weeks ago

lake2.jpg

Nice, looks a bit dryer than when we were there...we were sinking halfway up our shins in mud down there!

Thanks guys really appriciate the info, I believe we have decided to fly from newcastle to adelaide then hire a pajero drive to williams creek then a flight over lake Eyre.
Great photos cheers.

Mate I was there a couple of months ago and I got a massive buzz by actually going to the lake and having a swim, there was just something weird about being among ocean wildlife in the middle of Australia. The sunset and sunrises are one of the best I've seen too. It's only approx 45mins from William Creek Hotel, my D22 was stock apart from 265/75's at the time and it was no dramas.

Back