Rivnut/Plusnut/Hexnut

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
well as the title describes im wanting to see if anyone has used any of them for automotive or any use. im looking to put a bunch through the engine bay of the car instead of roofing screws or metal screws. i was looking into buying a set of the rivnuts then i came along the plusnuts which give more strength against pullouts. it is mainly gonna be used to hold relays, isolaters, circuit breakers and light stuff. i am not buying the tools to suit as im just gonna use the old fashion bolt and nut idea. i have found a 200 piece rivnut pack containg mixed amount from m4-m12 rivnuts for $49.95 not including postage. they are steel rivnuts not alloy or ss. should i be looking at stainless steel or aluminium?

cheers
Rusty

any in particular? steel rivnut? steel may be better for earthing for relays etc. they shouldnt rust anyway. not with rust prevention and if i seal the hole when i drill it before i put the rivnut in.

I use the plated steel versions mainly but the ally ones will work fine as well especially if it just to hold a relay or something.
Just make sure the hole is a tight, not too big fit and pull them up all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the plated steel versions mainly but the ally ones will work fine as well especially if it just to hole a relay or something.
Just make sure the hole is a tight, not too big fit and pull them up all the way.

cheers Krankin,

i thik the kit i was looking at were steel ones. $49.95+$17postage aint to bad? thats for 215 pieces in container. sizes range from M4 to M12.

I use the alloy Rivnuts in the truck in any place where I cant get to the nut. So far no issues at all. If you stuff a thread you just drill it out and insert a new one.
I did find however that on the smaller sizes like 4mm its easy to break the tool tip off.
I used them in the plastic hardcover to mount the frame for my electric actuator . Works a treat .

Anyone come across any cheap rivnut tools. I like the nut and bolt idea but its not fool proof and can be bloody annoying when trying to insert a rivnut into a tight space?

Rusty, do you have a link you can post for the the rivnut kit you found?

Here is the rivnut kit

ebay.com.au/itm/215-PC-BLIND-RIVET-NUTS-RIVNUT-NUTSERTS-STEEL-METRIC-/120768221863?pt=AU_Fasteners&hash=item1c1e58d2a7

Here is some rivnut tools. It's an overseas site so shipping might be a lil more

cardinalcomponents.com/installtools.htm

Trade tools direct has a kit for $35 this week. I'm thinking of grabbing one tomorrow to fit the fridge slide in. Anyone else just fixed the slide directly down on to the tub floor? I do have a liner on as well which i'm going to have to go through also.

I figure it doesn't need to be tightened down supertight so should be fine through liner. Not keen on plywood as i i often have water splashing around the back plus it still has to be fixed to the floor. Why complicate things.

Just be sure not to overtighten the bolts in them and apply some antiseize grease as I have found from experience that the nuts occasionally come loose and it is bloody hard then to get the bolt back out.

Just be sure not to overtighten the bolts in them and apply some antiseize grease as I have found from experience that the nuts occasionally come loose and it is bloody hard then to get the bolt back out.

Thanks Pete, After measuring and checking where it sits i worked out well that i could get to every bolt to put a nut on it so i just went with a spring washer and nut. I was a little concerned about how strong those nutsert things were.

Ran into trouble once i put fridge in as it didn't work. thought it had shit itself just before i go away (as things like that happen). But it getting the multimeter out it became obvious that after removing the rear step and towbar the tub was not earthed properly to the chassis now. So a quick earth link between them and its all gold.

Latest posts

Back