"Diesel Power" additive - Chemtech

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parlyboy

Reaction score
Hi all

Last week I made a impulse purchase ($30) of some Diesel Power additive that claims to
Boost Performance
Improve Fuel Economy
Clean Injectors
Reduce Emissions

So my obvious questions are :

Does it work? or

Have I fallen for a stupid sales pitch?

Anyone used any of these products or have an opinion?

Cheers

I've tried it. Put it in 3 tanks and didn't notice any difference in the vehicle. I still have the remainder of the bottle ... not very excited by it. I should just pour the rest of it in the current near-full tank and see if it makes my headlights turn purple.

That was my guess as soon as I walked out of the shop.

I got the " I use it in my truck and made a big difference, I guarantee it" pitch.

Sure it did mate.

I replied " well if it doesnt work ill bring it back with the reciept for a refund champ."

Blank look....

Dunno bout the (power performance) thing. I use, it as a preventative against the Diesel bug. I buy Vortex 98 and use 1ml/ lt as rec. When I first put it in I had 70,000k up, (2nd hand) and put 2ml/ lt in. It ran a little erratic at idle for a day or so. Now goes great. It has clean response and good idle. At about $2/ tank it's cheap insurance. IMO. I paid $90 for 5lt at Repco. Obviously I'm guynna use it eh.
P.S. Had the bug in a tank b4 and I'm not goin through that again.

I've used a few brands including genuine Nissan stuff. Chemtech Diesel Power works in my Nav mainly to keep injectors clean. I've used the moreys brand one aswell didn't do anything in the Nav but worked a dream in my bt50 ute, increased response and everything. It's up to the personal buyer to whether they think it works or not.

Goodluck

Dunno bout the (power performance) thing. I use, it as a preventative against the Diesel bug. I buy Vortex 98 and use 1ml/ lt as rec. When I first put it in I had 70,000k up, (2nd hand) and put 2ml/ lt in. It ran a little erratic at idle for a day or so. Now goes great. It has clean response and good idle. At about $2/ tank it's cheap insurance. IMO. I paid $90 for 5lt at Repco. Obviously I'm guynna use it eh.

Years ago, when i had a workshop, we had a customer with an old Merc
300D. it had the Diesel bug in the tank and it was a nightmare. blocked filters repeatedly and was very difficult to cure. had to remove the tank and pressure clean it internally.

Hard to believe if you have not had it.

Regards
Greg

Ahah I have a merc 315 van as a work vehicle and it suffers from bad fuel all the time. The bad filter light is on constantly and it runs like shit. Not to add the grinding turbo fan. I might run some chemtech through it and see if it works.

Just to add to my comment below. I only use Caltex Premium Vortex Diesel in my Nav if not that its BP Ultimate Diesel.

Thanks for responses so far, rather informative too.

I have 1 Litre to get through so i will know in a few months if its worked.

I must admit the truck ran rough first day or so i put it in, but now a week later its idles normally again. That was at 1ml/litre.

jjohn said:

Diesel bug? Please explain?

Yes i use the additive to break down any moisture to prevent the algea bug. I had it in a patrol a real prick of a thing to get rid of many filters later it was tankout and a caustic bath to kill it.
cheers phil

Bump.

After having the bottle sit in my shed for three months I finally used it and noticed an improvement in throttle response even just pulling away from the station.

My first though was, "Bullshit, I must have filled up somewhere els...no, same station. I think this stuff works."

Now the ZD30 is just over 100k old so it doesn't blow smoke unless I'm on full throttle above 4k RPM and even then it isn't thick and black so it's hard to say if I'll have an improvement there but I'll keep an eye out, even more so for the economy because I lost about 100km from my range with the 265 75 16 and steel wheels, not to mention power.

i get discount fuel through work usualy about $1.20 /litre so i often fill a couple of drums for trips away before i intend using the drums if they have sat for more than a week i put some of the repco brand conditioner in to them with the stored diesal its supposed to prevent algee build up had no problems so far

240k - original injectors & never used conditioner. Cant imagine I'll start using it either.

As for the diesel algae, I work with a guy who just spent 12 years as a rep for mobil fuels.

He rekons diesel can go stale after only a week or so in the wrong conditions and he has seen personally a large underground service station tank, with what looked like carpet between the layer of diesel and water!

I can't remember the scientific name for the bug but generally you get it by filling up from a servo that has it. Even when you kill it, if it's really bad it may not break down and your fuel system will still clog with dead bug.

That's why I try to never let my tank get below 1/4 (so you don't suck the crap up) and try to always fill up at a big truck stop station as they have a higher turnover of diesel meaning less chance of bug!

as always, just my 2c

Hi Guys
I used it on a HJ60 Toyota I had & thought it made difference.
Maybe just in my head.
But then the wife said what did I do to the car. it seems to go better.
So on the Toyota I noticed the difference.
On my Landrover didn't notice & so far on the Navara I have not noticed.
So go figure.

Harry

As for the diesel algae, I work with a guy who just spent 12 years as a rep for mobil fuels.

He rekons diesel can go stale after only a week or so in the wrong conditions and he has seen personally a large underground service station tank, with what looked like carpet between the layer of diesel and water!

I can't remember the scientific name for the bug but generally you get it by filling up from a servo that has it. Even when you kill it, if it's really bad it may not break down and your fuel system will still clog with dead bug.

That's why I try to never let my tank get below 1/4 (so you don't suck the crap up) and try to always fill up at a big truck stop station as they have a higher turnover of diesel meaning less chance of bug!

as always, just my 2c

The scientific name for the algae that grows in the layer between fuel and water is cladosporium resinae. It feeds on hydrocarbons and obtains oxygen from the water. Only a problem if you have water in your fuel. I spent many years in aircraft refuelling and we kept a "pet" clad in the waste fuel tank for training purposes, it was 2 x 3m and 50mm thick, looked like an off white jelly. Additives that will dissolve water in fuel are one solution, clean fuel is a better one😃

The diesel bug is a fact, the work truck (old heap of crap) at a refinery got it!
Try get it to the mechanics when a third of the tank is full of sludge, so when you accelerate the pickup requires more fuel then suddenly plugs up the pickup and and the truck starves (she no go)!
I always add additive to my tank for clean bugs and octane boost. For $20 it does 10 tanks or even every second!

Latest posts

Back