Black smoke???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_215

Reaction score
Hey guys just thought id post this up to see what you guys reakon. Since ive fitted the 3 inch exhaust and spt chip. Ive noticed alot more black smoke coming out the rear end. Now ive noticed navaras having black smoke. But not this bad. Mines whenever i put my foot down it has a real big puff then a fairly long cloud. Just wondering what you guys reakon it could be? I was thinking changing tbe oil every 5000 just to see if that helps. Cheers.

Both could be the reason given I am assuming you have installed a more free flowing exhaust but I suspect that the chip is major clue here...

The black smoke is unburnt diesel.

Your chip is pouring more fuel in that the engine can deal with - known as overfueling.

30 seconds of research tells me it is just another plug and play chip so wind down the tune level until there is less smoke (and less performance).

Failing that install an EGT gauge and wind up the fuel and then drive with one eye on the gauge just like I do. :big_smile:

+1 for me too. Most chips just increase fuel rail pressure and you walk away thinking that you've got more power - when what you've REALLY got is something that presses your accelerator a little harder and pushes more fuel in - sometimes more fuel than the engine can handle.

Most chips do little more than that. If you're seeing too much black smoke, wind the chip back a bit - because you're not getting the benefit of that extra fuel.

Cool thanks for the input guys. The spt is a sterling performance chip. So as to do with the chip should i look at getting another one. Say a dP or chip it brand one?

Cool thanks for the input guys. The spt is a sterling performance chip. So as to do with the chip should i look at getting another one. Say a dP or chip it brand one?

Ray

Like you I started with a plug and play chip (from Tunit). But I soon realised exactly what Tony said above to be true. It was not until I dynoed it did I realise this. Yes the chip absoutely increased power and torque, but as I kept on winding back the chip I discovered there was no less power between each setting. Finally I got right back to setting 1 with only a very small drop and of course it was putting in a lot less fuel. So I couldn't see the point of staying with it as winding up the settings only poured more fuel without any increase in performance.

So I went and bought Chip It because their chip is completely programmable and you can load bespoked tunes in just seconds and thus set the chip up exactly for your needs. You add/remove fuel at any point along the throttle positioning.

And if you option up and install their EGT gauge (as I did) it comes with an alarm so that should your EGTs get too hot it switches off the chip.

Last edited:
Wow thats very interesting to note actually. I probably should of researched abit more before i bought it. I was thinking about the chip it one maybe down the track. How does your one go boss hog? As to
Do With performance and fitting etc. Cheers.

Ray

there a few threads about Chip It's chip. Have read up.

That said I can't think of a bad thing to say about their chip. It does everything they say it will do. The winning feature is the ability to load different tunes.

Latest posts

Back