Low Diesel Level

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi guys

Had an 'interesting' experience in the D40 yesterday...

Low fuel warning light appeared, which wasn't the issue nor surprising as I was low on diesel.

Anyway, about 3 kms up the road I did a u-turn through the median strip and guess what... yup she stopped in peak hour traffic not even a single cough. So rolled to the side of the road and whilst I blocked the lefthand lane illegally commenced the process of finger crossing whilst simultaneously cranking it over. It did restart after a couple of cranks.

I then fuelled up ASAP and put 71.5 litres in it. So I still had 8.5 litres left in the tank.

Questions:

1. Has anyone experienced this?
2. Does any one know many 'usable litres' are in the 80 litre tank?

Bosshog

i know there have been problems with fuel senders, also there was a modifacation for the fuel pick up as it runs out of fuel on hills when low on fuel.

Yep mines done it a few times when the car is parked on a hill with the nose pointing down on low fuel also once when parked with the nose up a hill but never the less jumped out primed the fuel back into the filter until it got really hard and started it up again and quickly moved it to flat surface.. after its on flat and fuel comes back to normal i can drive for about 80ks after the light goes on.. weird aye.. but i never had it happen to me while i was douig a turn.

Its never happened again thankfully. But I now tend to fill it soon as the light comes on. I have added a long range tank to the wishlist.

same thing happened to me only i was stopped at the lights the first time,
back then i filled it with 70ltr but after that i would regularly use 75ltr with no trouble.
:jester:gost in the machine?

Strangely, on my d22
my low warning light comes on at just after the 3/4 mark,
but I've not tried to run it to see how long it goes.

Strangely, on my d22
my low warning light comes on at just after the 3/4 mark,
but I've not tried to run it to see how long it goes.

you will soon know when you go to fill up.

i think the sensors are separate, so the question is which one has gone faulty.

Since the ECU is getting a returning voltage from the fuel sender to gauge the fuel level, all it really needs to do is set a particular voltage as the "reserve" level and turn the light on.

Two senders is twice as many things that can break - it wouldn't be the way I'd do it.

Given that fuel gauges aren't much more than voltmeters and can be calibrated just like voltmeters there is nothing to say that the light actually comes on at the same time in every Nav on the road.

My first Pulsar the light came on when the needle covered the empty line but because I knew the gauge was out I knew I still had 8 liters in the tank which was about 1/5th of the tank. My dads crewwie has the light come on when the ecu tells him he still has 270ks left in the tank. Anything electrical like fuel gauges can develop or be manufactured with problems and while some might get fixed others don't. Some times trial and error is the only way to test it.

Having been using the scangauge now for a few months and getting it calibrated right I know use both the dash gauge and the scangauge to tell me how much fuel is left. When the needle is on the empty line and the scangauge is telling me I have 4.5 litres left in the tank I can get 78 litres into the tank, and since I fill the tank right up pipe I consider that more than close enough to work with.

Latest posts

Back