Good Towing Mirrors recommended for a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodogs

Reaction score
Hi All, I want to purchase a good set of towing mirrors to suit my D40. I have a set that clip into the top of the door and has a tensioner belt that clips on the bottom of the door. I have tried these on the Navara but the top arms press against the window and scratch it if it is wound down/up. These were used on a Rodeo ute that had very flexible weather strip seals and enough clearance between the glass and door that the the arms didn't rub against the glass as they do on the Navara when fitted. I have tried a cheap set from ebay that clip a mounting bracket onto the rear view mirrors and then a rod is attached with the mirror fitted to the rod. These are very flimsy and at any sort of speed they fold in slightly up setting the position that they had been set up at so any rear view has now been altered. I want a set that fit without scratching or damaging any parts of the ute and sit solid when mounted.....what brand and type do you recommend? Cheers TD

I'm using the exact mirrors that you're having an issue with. I didn't at first - I didn't like how tight they fit, but I got really tired of my clip-on mirrors being blown back when passing a road train and the lack of visibility due to vibration made the clip-on ones worthless.

Clearview make a replacement mirror for the D40 & anybody who has them seems to think they are great.

Clearview Mirrors

I think they a re pretty ugly & at over $700 for the set will stick with my Ora mirrors with the bracing arm. The bracing arm stops the mirrors from folding back & most vibration.

I am not real happy with these on the D40 either as the outer shell of the D40 mirror is thin & flexes a bit. Mine is also an ST with painted mirror shell & I reckon over time the Ora mirror will mark the paint. This is not a criticism of the Ora mirrors as I think they are one of the better clip on mirrors available.

Sorry more questions but no answers.

Last edited:
I saw the Clearview mirror at the melbourne 4x4 show - saw the chrome ones on a platinum D40 - they are really good in that you can extend them out when you are towing, and slide them back closer to the car when you dont have the trailer (van) behind you. No clipping or unclipping the Ora's all the time.

Can get the mirrors with the indicators built in - options are Chrome or black. I think the mirrors work in with your electric mirror adjusters too. (i dont have that feature in my humble RX)

I'm using the exact mirrors that you're having an issue with. I didn't at first - I didn't like how tight they fit, but I got really tired of my clip-on mirrors being blown back when passing a road train and the lack of visibility due to vibration made the clip-on ones worthless.

Hi Old. Tony (and others) for the reply, are you saying that you DID have issues at first with how tight they fit? But you are like me and got sick of the clip on ones blowing back so you are now back using them. I want to use my other ones but I worry about scratching the glass (again!!) and I like to drive with my window down so it is a bit of a bummer setting off on a trip with the window wound up all the way (In case of rain). If you are using yours again, how are you avoiding scratching the glass? I have tried wrapping insulation tape around the catches/hooks but this peels off quickly after using the window a couple of times. Cheers TD

Mine have a slick plastic film on the little lugs that go over the window seal, and the glass doesn't slide too badly on that. The plastic is a little bit like a screen protector film that you'd put on your phone's touchscreen. I don't know if it's commercially available, but I think if you got a similar sort of plastic, folded it over and glued it into position it would do the job without increasing the thickness too much.

Even with the thin plastic, mine slows the window down a little because of the extra pressure against the glass, which means it's making the motor work harder - that might not be a good thing, but I'd rather see than not.

And for those that haven't towed and wonder why you NEED to see behind when towing ... if you see a road train coming up to pass, you have to edge over as far left as you can and hold the steering wheel tight, because as the road train (or any large vehicle) passes you, it tries to suck the caravan into it and you have to make corrections.

Latest posts

Back