New Federal MT Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayde.wilson

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've talked to a few mates who are friends with tyre dealers and I've managed to get myself a good deal (I think so anyway) on a set of 5 Federal Couragia M/T. At a price of $1750 for a set of 5 265 75 R16, that's including Sunraysia style black rims and fitting of tyres. It works out at $230 per tyre, $110 a rim and $10 for fitting. They say you'll get about 55000 to 60000 out of a set, so we will see how they go. Hopefully tomorrow the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's will be leaving the car and the federal's will be strapped on. Fingers crossed boys and girls I'll be posting photo's of the new set up tomorrow.:wash_truck:

Hey wayde. I have the exact same setup. Black sunnies with fed mts connected. So far they have done approx 1500 kms and no signs of excessive wear. Goin ripley this weekend so they will get another test run. Do far I haven't been let down. My process were similar $100 rim and $244 a tire fitted full set of 5 $1720.

I have pics in my build thread if you want a sneak peek

Lil noisy but was expected for a real aggressive mt. I've heard worse though. I've been told if they wear unevenly the noise will be loud. So I'm rotating them everytime I put them on for another run. It is nothing I can't handle but the wife hates it.

He fellas anything further to report on the cougarias? I've got a mate that can get me 265 75 16 for $200 a piece so just tossing up whether to get them or save a bit more and go a big brand?

I still have mine. Wearing well but are getting noisy. Just came back from 3days st lcmp and it chewed everything. I would run these tires all the time if I was the only driver. $200 is dirt cheap for these tires. I would go them again when u get another set.

Rusty

Apparently those silverstone 117's are aright to, about the same price if you want a directional tread.

Cheers guys, just tossing up if I can put up with them as a daily? Rusty you ever had any problems with balancing?

I run the federals on black steelies too. I have them as weekend tyres, awesome in the mud but terrible on the black stuff when wet and are also pretty noisy.

I killed one 2 weeks ago but that was from a sharp tree stump (tree had fallen over) in through the sidewall, no tyre would have survived.

Great off road, not so good on road so for a weekend tyre, its perfect!

Never had them rebalanced yet, but they do need it and also an alignment. Gotta remember they are a soft compound and will wear quicker then most others. They are a brilliant weekender

yeah I ran a set of the M/T's 31/10.5/R15 a while back. Gotta say I was impressed! not punctures, and good at low PSI. Not noisy & really excelled on the slate/rock.

(I live in E/Gippsland and Grew up in Dargo in the High country. Go up there all the time.)

got around 60k out of them and probably ended up seeing bitumen around 70% of the time. Must however like all tyres keep them rotating to get good life out of them. they are a good all rounder at an affordable price.

I currently have the Mickey Thompson Baja TTC M/T 33'. Ok however not a big fan of the directional tyres and wont buy again.

Good luck mate sure you will enjoy them and find them great. Tomo07

by all acounts the claws are only marginally better than the MTZ in extreme offroading yet the mtz is 100x easier to live with.

i find the federals to be pretty good.
they're fine on the black top.
i take them off to run 255/70/16 highway tyres for fuel economy.

Im on my second set and they are very good tyres, yeah they are noisey but so are all muddys really, they are awesome off road and decent on road (if your careful) i had them on my big trip right round oz rapeing them in the snow, rocks, sand, mud whatever, i still haven't popped one, they wear fairly quick but they are still miles above the rest when you want good value traction and reliable strength. I recommend the couragias 100%, i run mine all the time and i wont change them for anything else, ive had bfgs and coopers, and its just brand name marketing gimmicks, 240 a tyre is about right, thats a good deal, you could hunt around a bit more but youd only save about $120 buck on the whole package. Go for them, you won't regret it.

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys.

Got it narrowed down to either the Cougarias or Hankook Dynapro MT's both about $220 a piece for 265/75/16.

Anyone had any experience with the Hankook's?

yeah my brother ran a set of Dynapro's he liked them, on a par with the federals really.

Have you considered the Yokohama goelander m/t's Just wanted to throw it out there but don't know what they are like thou.

In answer to your question, I would go the federal's over the Hankook's.

Tomo07.

Latest posts

Back