faulty maf sensor?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
been having that power lack issue for a while now, but it aint getting any better or worse.

today when i had the car running my mate was tinkering around.

he discovered the following:

-if the maf is removed while the engine is running nothing happens, no check engine, etc
-if the maf sensor is removed with the engine off, and then turned on, nothing happens, no check engine, etc
-if blowing into the maf while the engine is running, the engine doesnt change noise pitch like it used to

signs of a faulty maf sensor perhaps? might get nissan onto it at my coming up service.

didnt know they could run both?

theres only the sensor which sticks in the pipe between the filter and the turbo intake.

oh, and the maf sensor on the 2.5l is the wire element type

didnt know they could run both?

theres only the sensor which sticks in the pipe between the filter and the turbo intake.

oh, and the maf sensor on the 2.5l is the wire element type

Yeah GM LS1's run both, hense the maf-less tune they can do.

Between filter and turbo then its defonately a maf.

As for the problem, do the simple thinks first (check contacts etc)
Might be worth to borrow a multimeter, then you can say for sure if its the sensor or not.

i got a multimeter, just not sure which wires to go at first as there 5 of them, and also you cant get to the wires while the maf cabling is plugged into the maf sensor as its all sealed up. might need some thin wire and have a try by wedging it in.

i gave it a clean last night with some brake parts cleaner which basically instantly dries and no power difference noticed. hmm

got it booked into nissan this thursday and i'll mention to them to lack of power and how a 'mechanic' said it could be the maf sensor. not saying i touched it or they'll try do me over!

i got a multimeter, just not sure which wires to go at first as there 5 of them, and also you cant get to the wires while the maf cabling is plugged into the maf sensor as its all sealed up. might need some thin wire and have a try by wedging it in.

I'd leave it to the experts

Otherwise...

Pretty sure with a 5pin it would be the MAF and IAT sensor combined.

MAF will have ground, power, 0-5V signal wire to ecu (this is the one you need to find). IF the voltage varies at different engine loads then you've found the right wire.

well ute is going in tomorrow.

written down on a note that its got a turbo timer installed, (as the last guy that worked on it nearly lost it, rofl)

also written down on a list of concerns:
-fuel consumption appears to have increased (seems to go faster though i drive less, hmm)
-lost power in low end, doesnt seem to get up to speed as quick
-blows black smoke when driving sometimes (just so they have a check over the maf sensor or some other stuff, hook up the consult III and do a check)

got a new quote of $228 and about 3 hours to do.

not bad i guess?

service complete, they did driving and diagnostic consult checks and found nothing.

i believe the maf sensor is still the faulty item, though i pulled it off and went for a drive and i could notice the difference, meaning the computer wont see it as broken even if one of the diodes is a bit whack.

it just brings me back to the old days of how it all happened....had stock filter, chucked on a pod, pod went well, chucked on stock, stock was ballistic, then stock went back to pod status. hmmmmmmm

thats odd. with MAF removed it should have brought up the engine light. failing that the ECU should have still logged a code.
looks like they must be running off the boost sensor a lot more.

when MAF's go faulty they often get slow to respond rather than out right dead. only way to know if its faulty is to swap it with a new one.

boost sensor?

not a variable turbo, standard turbo as waste gate is controlled by a actuator which i currently have a boost gauge hooked up inline to.

i'd like to swap them, but i cant be justified spending 330 bucks just to 'try' one. hmm

EDIT: anyone ever consider cat converter poisoning? could be blocked...

it will have a boost (map) sensor. knowing nissan odds are it directly mounted to the end tank of the intercooler ie bolted to it.

well (facing into the engine bay from the front of the car), coming up from the turbo it connects to the right side of the intercooler, then to the left side of the intercooler it goes down to this sort of unit with wires which is encased in cast, and it also seems to connect to the EGR tube.

thought that was the EGR butterfly valve?

that big cylinder thing with bunch fo wires coming out one end is the EGr valve. don't know if your motor has EGR butterfly.
i havn't got a pic of that side of the intercooler but i would suspect there be a sensor bolted to it with 3 or so wires coming out of it.

pic

dsc01991fm6.jpg

you can see the EGR valve system clearly there. but just out of sight above that on the intercooler i would expect the boost sensor.

Latest posts

Back