10,000k service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2006

Reaction score
The D40's gone in today for it's 10,000k service.

I have read lots of stuff here, there & everywhere about rich mixtures during the "running in" period, detuning etc & these issues being addressed at the 10,000k service.

Unless it is a case of "deny everything", which would seem to serve no useful purpose, it appears after speaking to the service guys, that I should not really expect any change post service.

Perhaps it's a case for the X-Files?

I must say I felt like a bit of a dick asking an apparently stupid question. I am glad they were gentle with me. :big_smile:

Last edited:
The "running in period" is never an exact period. There is no magical distance where engines just automatically free up and become more efficient, more powerful or boat anchors, 90% of drivers wouldn't even notice this "loosening" happen.

Detuning or even uptuning (if that's a word) I reckon is as much a myth as dealer servicing. What better way to convince people to use dealer servicing than to say dealers can tune better than independent mechs. A best given the time frame they actually take to do a 10K service (not the time it's in the workshop), I'd say at best they plug the consultII reader in and do an ECU reset.

If problems are reported things may be different but if the owner doesn't report any other issues you can bet dealers don't go looking for them.

You will probably also find a service droid wont say to expect any improvements because it's not a certain thing and the last thing he wants is for you to come back at 10,100K and say your economy is still the same as it was before the service.

my first few tanks is was only getting about 450 to 480 klms to 65 ltrs. now with 17000 on the clock i get around 550 t0 600 klms to 65 ltrs this is with the tub loaded with 200 kg , and varied driving patterns some free way some hills ,

My dealer said the consult thingy never goes on unless there IS a prob.
Dunno, what do they do?

The fuel mapping is supposed to be set to a slightly richer mix so that the combustion temps don't get too high. After the 10,000km service they're supposed to simply reset the ECU so that it goes back to factory defaults.

Just do it yourself, if they haven't. Grab your radio pin, write down your tripmeter values, and pop off that battery negative lead and press the brake pedal.

My dealer said the consult thingy never goes on unless there IS a prob.
Dunno, what do they do?

If that's true and I'm not saying it isn't, it means they do virtually nothing other than reset the ECU (maybe) and change the filters and oil. Glad I don't pay Nissan for such a great service.

They reset the computer on mine at service & it went great, big difference all the way home.
Next day it was back to how it was before.

Well if they reset the ECU (which he said they do) & if it makes a difference, I might be in a bit of strife.

Dear wifie picked up the car after the service yesterday so it would have got a fair old flogging on the way home. Next time I drive it, 2.5+ ton will be hanging off the back for the best part of 2 weeks.

Wonder how that will effect economy next time I am driving it around solo :sarcastic:

The "run in" period:- A moment in the indeterminate future represented by a nanosecond of peak efficiency immediately succeeding the running in period and immediately preceding the running out period :big_smile:

Last edited:
If they reset the ECU and it was ok then a day later it was back to whatever it was before it means the driver doesn't drive the same as the ECU thinks is optimal. However given the ECU constantly learns then it should mean that a driver can teach it good and bad. Even if the missus picks the car up and treats it like an F1 car the constant learning should over time re-teach the ECU to the more economical drivers habits. But there is more to it than just that otherwise the only reason for ECU resets would be to delete error codes most of us can't even read.

I noticed a freeing up of my motor around 10,000 k's which was sooner than I had expected, I also noticed an improvement in fuel economy and the fact that I didn't have to accelerate downhill as much anymore, the thing began rolling on its own.

Latest posts

Back