idle rattle in neutral

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
hi everyone this could be a witch hunt but when i had my ute in low 4 today i noticed it had a very loud rattle or clacking sound underneath while it was in neutral iv'e done 130000 ks and it is an 06 rx diesel 6spd any ideas anyone cheers sam

Noisy transfer chain in neutral? thats a new one. Climb under the car and check the tailshaft uni's

Last edited:
Can you think of anything else? I suppose it could be a failure in the gearbox, possibly something worn on the input shaft that lines up properly when it's in gear.

I was thinking that in neutral, if the transfer chain was worn, the spinning of the input shaft could induce a small amount of motion in the output shaft anyway and since there's little resistance between the gearbox & transfer case, it could flop the chain a little. I've been wrong before!

Can you think of anything else? I suppose it could be a failure in the gearbox, possibly something worn on the input shaft that lines up properly when it's in gear.

I was thinking that in neutral, if the transfer chain was worn, the spinning of the input shaft could induce a small amount of motion in the output shaft anyway and since there's little resistance between the gearbox & transfer case, it could flop the chain a little. I've been wrong before!

Wasn't disagreeing, just meant that's a new one I hadn't heard before.

My trsansfer chain use to make a slapping noise when changing gears whilst in low range. I assumed it was normal as it always did from new.

if it was the transfer chain wouldn't it be more noticeable whilst driving around in low 4 maybe'

I would be looking at the throw out bearing for the clutch. More than likely you will find the noise goes away if you push in the clutch. I know mine has had a noise since new and its the throw out bearing

hi everyone i have noticed allso that it makes the same rattle chattering noise when you down shift in gears when you push the clutch in to change down could this be a worn out clutch you think or linked in that area what do you fellas think?

Latest posts

Back