Roofmount console

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I told y'all I would post some pics of my roofmount console I made it took three evenings including the vinyl and i have to say I am so incredibly happy with it

I have kept all the templates if anyone wants a copy or i am happy to make more consoles for the right price :)
there is still a lot of electrical stuff to on in mine like. 12 switches , 4 cig lighter power outlets led lights and a UHF radio but thought I would throw up some progress shots in the mean time.

Anyway if anyone is interested pm me cheers

Attachments

• image-2470883703.jpg
    image-2470883703.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 391
A few more pics,

The front opening will have a push in push out flap like the original fitting ( sunnys holder ) that I moved back to the middle and the recess behind it is where the 12 switches go and last but not least I didn't mention the fold down screen that will be mounted at the rear in the middle and all the storage pockets are carpeted and will have internal lights aswell

Attachments

• image-3839376909.jpg
    image-3839376909.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 375
  • image-3605155735.jpg
    image-3605155735.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 324
  • image-2744289910.jpg
    image-2744289910.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 307
Hi There Aussie Traveller,

The console looks great. I would certainly be interested in having a look at your templates!

How did you attach the console to the roof?? Obviously you used the front light mountings, but anywhere else?

Nice work!

Brad

Hey brad,
I kept all the templates so I can photo-copy them, if u pm me some details I can mail a set to you. As far as fixing the console I used a series of aluminium angle brackets that I have pop riveted and glued to the console then pre drilled all of them before starting to pop rivet it ( as in predrilled the rooftop mounts) , this was easier then it sounds so I will include a couple of pics in a few minutes, but basically you just need some help to hold it to the roof while you pack up underneath it to hold it in place , just make sure u don't pack it somewhere in your way, so once it's in place u can start by drilling a hole in the headlining within the compartment where the light /sunny holder goes, I made mine 90 mm so I could reach my hand in and grab the original wires for the Centre lights but also so I could use a mirror to locate the struts running through under the headlining ( I actually cut the hole first so I could work out were to install the ally brackets )once that is done u can pop rivet the bracket that's already mounted to ur console to the struts in the roofspace. The pics will show you what I mean, oh yeah and make sure u buy nice long rivets for this job as they have to go through the ally, carpet, insulation and steel so 12-15 mm min

I hope this helps mate I can include a hole heap of pics to demonstrate the how to if u need some help, I took step by step pics just in case :) cheers

A few of along the way

Attachments

• image-1393751828.jpg
    image-1393751828.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 160
  • image-4007596566.jpg
    image-4007596566.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3357822122.jpg
    image-3357822122.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 158
  • image-2241202180.jpg
    image-2241202180.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3999650793.jpg
    image-3999650793.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1813440654.jpg
    image-1813440654.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 160
  • image-1785173066.jpg
    image-1785173066.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3169771077.jpg
    image-3169771077.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2368503716.jpg
    image-2368503716.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 146
The switch panel took a bit of fiddling around but I have so much electrical stuff and it's all switched separately so I wanted a nice neat panel to have them, the original design had a pod at the front for a UHF ( u can see it in the last photos) I have since deleted that as it was just sticking past the vision in the rear view mirror and all the switches were going to be on the flat panel instead of the recess however I was concerned what that would look like and was also worried the illuminated switches might prove annoying at night. I think this has been fixed by using the recess but it means you need to sew in a patch for the vinyl.

Attachments

• image-2557287650.jpg
    image-2557287650.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-554436550.jpg
    image-554436550.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image-811573127.jpg
    image-811573127.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1426132938.jpg
    image-1426132938.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 113
Nice work Aussie, Wish I could have found the time and patience to do something like that for my roof console but in the end I went the easy option and it works for what I need.

Apart from getting the CB and rear DVD out of the way the biggest advantage I found for my console is to lean on with my elbow and hold my head up on the long drives, it's surprisingly comfortable and stops me from falling asleep. But I still occasionally hit my head on my console when I move around in the drivers seat.

Thanks jjohn, as I said I'm pretty stoked with it too, it definitely caters to my needs maybe not some but with storage being one of the biggest things we have gained without being in anyone's way. I'm only 5'9 but my 6'6 cousin has no trouble either the back leaves you having to look at a panel but with the addition of a drop down screen ( which with this design is still out of the vision of the rear view mirror ) it won't take long to take your attention away from the panel and secondly but probably most importantly- when am I ever going to sit in the back ---NEVER--- that's for the kids or visitors hahaha

Attachments

• image-2777704900.jpg
    image-2777704900.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 139
The wiring is still being worked on hence it's ugly state at the moment. The little access panel is going to serve nicely as a home to the fuse box once I have completed running the 12 switches etc I will mount the whole circuit including relays etc to a vinyl covered timber panel fitting perfectly where the original light/ Sunnys holder where, once the hinged panel is installed flush with the bottom of the console I'm hoping it will look scmicko

Attachments

• image-1911523569.jpg
    image-1911523569.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 164
  • image-982210093.jpg
    image-982210093.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3822412703.jpg
    image-3822412703.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 160
that looks sweet! Would it fit into a king cab? If so could i get a copy of your plans?

I'm not sure if it would fit in a king cab or not but I am happy to make these consoles to anyone's custom specs only problem is I am leaving to go around Australia in the morning we will be in Byron on saturday heading north afterward in no particular hurry so if someone would be kind enough to let me get some measurements on there vehicle I would be only to happy to do a " how to" on any of the vehicles your interested in so If your on the coastline somewhere and are happy to let me measure up off your car drop me a message and I'll get it going... Cheers

I used to love the idea of a roof console, until a mate had a rollover, and his Mrs received a very nasty head injury, which was attributed to the roof console. (Survived, but permanent damage was done)

(Apologies for being the sour puss in a good thread.)

OMG!! Aussietraveller they look absolutely awesome. man you could go into business with those, they look better then those Outback ones.

BravoBrad said:
I used to love the idea of a roof console, until a mate had a rollover, and his Mrs received a very nasty head injury, which was attributed to the roof console. (Survived, but permanent damage was done)

(Apologies for being the sour puss in a good thread.)

Hey mate you certainly don't need to apologise for your opinion , especially when it comes to people's safety. Out of curiosity was the console like mine As in through the middle or was it across the front? I ask this as I spent hours working on the design and have asked loads of people to sit in the car from short to tall and hope that all the dimensions , curved corners and padding under the vinyl would aid in avoiding any minor damage but I do take note of the fact you would lose around 90 mm of head space if you were to roll the car and the roof was pushed either forward or to the rear

so anyone else thinking about doing a console needs to take that into account as i think it is definitely a valid point

That said I am still very happy with it and won't be pulling it down any time soon :)

Thanks for your advice though Brad..

Dave

Ran down the centre of a Hilux. When they rolled, her head hit the console side (with the side of her head).

I cant remember the exact design of it (was about 8 yrs ago) but to look and touch etc, you would not even have thought about it.

Fair enough, I guess it is a risk you need to asses for yourself anyway good on ya brad it's always good to have all the info and as you said it's something you wouldn't have really thought about.

LLadnar said:
OMG!! Aussietraveller they look absolutely awesome. man you could go into business with those, they look better then those Outback ones.

Thanks a lot for your kind words mate I had a look at a few consoles but hadn't found one with the wings across the middle. I'm stoked with it hence why I am offering to share the design that said it would be great to have some orders placed for completed units as I have said I am happy to do otter vehicles so long as someone is prepared to offer a donor vehicle for a few hours.

Latest posts

Back