Mickey T's ATZ OR MTZ

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy89

Reaction score
Purchasing new tyres to get rid of these cheap nankangs that might as well
Be a wooden wheel in the wet. (No grip)

So question. Obviously I love the look of the MTZ. But are they going to last me
60,000km atleast? Or should I got the ATZ 4 rib?
I can get them for around $250-$280 a tyre through friends of work.

I only go bush about once month too. What is the average life spam of MTZ's on the black top?
Or should I bite it and go to ATZ?

The MTZ do wear quickly, but they are a great tyre for all round grip.I'm sure you would get 60K's out of them as far as roadworthy goes.

My theory has always being that a 50% worn muddy is basically just a noisy all terrain. So no point starting with a worn a tyre. I'm lucky to do 15K a year so it's a but different for me and my opinion will differ.

Leprechaun said:
The MTZ do wear quickly, but they are a great tyre for all round grip.I'm sure you would get 60K's out of them as far as roadworthy goes.

My theory has always being that a 50% worn muddy is basically just a noisy all terrain. So no point starting with a worn a tyre. I'm lucky to do 15K a year so it's a but different for me and my opinion will differ.

Thanks for that. Makes it a bit easier. I'll
Be doing uca's right after. Get a good alignment. It gets serviced every 6 months or 5k whatever comes first so I'll rotate every service too.
I've heard of people getting 80k before needing replacement for road worthy 90% road driving

Not to sound like i'm being smart but think of what the ATZ & MTZ actually stand for and how much of that you actually require the tyres for. I'm not sure why you'd buy a tyre that will only get used for it's main intended purpose about 5% of the time. Wouldn't wet weather grip & road noise be more important? My vote is for a good A/T.

NUTSACK said:
Not to sound like i'm being smart but think of what the ATZ & MTZ actually stand for and how much of that you actually require the tyres for. I'm not sure why you'd buy a tyre that will only get used for it's main intended purpose about 5% of the time. Wouldn't wet weather grip & road noise be more important? My vote is for a good A/T.

Anything is better than the nankangs I got now I reckon. Literally no traction in wet. Rev out 2nd spinning with ease. Not even trying... I
Don't like it

just had a set of MTZ and only got about 50000 out of them and for the last 15000 or so the noise has been driveing me up the wall. defintly an all terain next time around.

If you're not stuck on brand names and want a good A/T tyre i'd suggest you try the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I tossed up between the Mickies & Hankooks for a while but decided on the Hankooks and couldn't be happier. Saved me over $400 and are quiet with good grip in the wet & dry.

Hey mate, I still have the MTZ's if your interested, might be a cheap way of finding out what suits you best.
Key with the muddies is regular rotations

justdrinkbeer said:
Hey mate, I still have the MTZ's if your interested, might be a cheap way of finding out what suits you best.
Key with the muddies is regular rotations

Yeah I forgot about yours but my girls dad can get me brand spankers for $250 each so I'm just Gunna go with it I think

And plus I'm used to owning a
Commodore dumped on 20s chewing out tyres every 4 months. Best move ever getting out of that thing!

Hey mate.

I just got the 4 rib ATZ's put on yesterday. The grip is amazing on them. I can't hear any noise from them either yet.

Can't wait to take them offroad to see what they can really do!

I have the 4 rib ATZ's on my D40 and have nothing but praise for them. The grip is awesome in all conditions for an AT tyre. We have done Fraser, Cape York, Bendethera a few times (once after heavy rain and the track just being dozed). They have never let me down, no punctures, low noise and long life. We have done 75000k's sofar on them and they still have another 20000k's in them. I will definately be getting them again, I'm sure there are people out there who have tried them and don't like them, just my 2 bobs worth.

Steve

what pressures you running on road Steve. your getting good mileage from them.

Old thread but, Ive gone through 2 sets of mtz's, got around 40000 to $50000k out of both sets. Great looking tyre, not the best in the wet though. I just changed to atz's today, they look ok but no where near as tough as the mtz's. I would have stuck with them but I travel too much for work, I should expect 80000 to 90000k out of the atz,s. My wallet won over in the end.

Old thread but, Ive gone through 2 sets of mtz's, got around 40000 to $50000k out of both sets. Great looking tyre, not the best in the wet though. I just changed to atz's today, they look ok but no where near as tough as the mtz's. I would have stuck with them but I travel too much for work, I should expect 80000 to 90000k out of the atz,s. My wallet won over in the end.

That's what I like to hear.

i have a set of mickey T STZ, they are an aggressive all terrain and been great for me though i tend to hit the sand/desert driving rather than mud work.

I also have a set of mickey thompsons ATZ4 ribs.. good tyre,quite on the road, grips and are wearing well. was keen to go the muddies but tyre dealer talked me out of it.. personally i dont think the two tyres would perform all that different in the mud. The muddies just look alot tougher if thats the path you want to go down. all personal preference i guess..

Latest posts

Back