Which tyres?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tyre? (265/75/16)

• BFG all terrain LT

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Bridgestone dueler A/T D694 LT

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Mickey Thompson 5 rib A/T LT

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Another type

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters

Matt76

Reaction score
Which tyre would you choose? It must be an all terrain, I use it far more for driving around for work than I do off road. I want something bigger and more aggressive without the noise and lack of on road manners of a muddy. I will do 3 or 4 beach trips a year and probably the same amount of bush trips.

BFGoodrich Tires - All-Terrain T/A<sup>KO</sup>

Lots of people recommend the BFG but none of the dealers do, they all say they were a great tyre 10 years ago but the others have left it for dead.

Bridgestone Dueler D694

These look really good to me, supposedly much better road manners and still a nice deep open tread pattern.

Mickey Thompson - World's Toughest Traction Tyres!

These look good to, although maybe not as well behaved on road as the Bridgestone?

Gday Matt76, I have Cooper ST boots, I have been failry happy with them so far. I have travelled 40000Km, they are wearing nicely and even too. They are slighty noisey as they have gotten older, But not enough to really bother me. Most of my driving has been on bitumen, but have driven on plenty of sandy and rocky terrain. I havent lost any lugs yet but they have scars from the rugged rock driving.

Cool thanks mate. I am struggling with the idea of coopers for 2 reasons.

1. My mechanic really strongly suggests I DONT get them, He reckons he has lots of trouble balancing them and they get worse as they get older. He says they have loads of balance issues. Mind you he is the only one that has told me anything negative about them.

2. The second reason is there must be soooooooo much advertising money built into the price of every tyre. There are ads for coopers every bloody where you look. They claim a 60,000kms guarantee for a set of them but only if I take it to an authorised cooper fitter to have them rotated. Bugger that.

My nieghbour has them on his Terrano though and he loves them.

I appreciate your advice. Cheers

At the moment I have the stocko Bridgestone 693 AT's that came with my wagon. They are a good tyre for what they are, they grip really well on the black top and reasonably well offroad but they're wearing faster than any tyre I've ever had 50% @ 11,000km's.
Any tyre that has a reputation for longevity has my attention at the moment. Most people around here who have/had Cooper ST's can't rtae them highly enough. A good friend of mine swears by BFG AT's and wouldn't put anything else on. Makes it hard don't it?
I'm tossing up between the Cooper ST's, the ATR's and Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib. Any one of them is going to hurt my wallet!

Last edited:
Matt, thats the first i have heard of balancing probs, but its not to say they dont'. No issue here on the D40 with the ST's.

My old man has Cooper ATR's on his Pajero and the only issue he has is small stones tend to get stuck in the tread when offroading.

I have had a set of Cooper ATR's on for over 110ks now. The damn things just wont wear out.

They only ever had the wheel balance when they were first put on and haven't been rotated for approx 50k.

They do pic up stones though and now they are near the end of their life they are a bit average in the wet. That is prob to be expected though. (they are not quite at the tread wear marker though).

Laith, how are the ATR's offroad? Tread block seems deep and reasonably spaced. Do you avoid mud like the plague? like me :eek:

Laith, how are the ATR's offroad? Tread block seems deep and reasonably spaced. Do you avoid mud like the plague? like me :eek:

When they were newer they were just ok in the mud. Not great though. I'm not one to drive through deep mud if I can avoid it.

Great on dirt roads and sand ect.

Cool thanks mate. I am struggling with the idea of coopers for 2 reasons.

1. My mechanic really strongly suggests I DONT get them, He reckons he has lots of trouble balancing them and they get worse as they get older. He says they have loads of balance issues. Mind you he is the only one that has told me anything negative about them.

I have BFG A/T,They have done 6000ks can't get them in balance, very annoying!. Think I'll go the Mickey's next time.

Time to throw the spot light on the D694s.

I have only travelled 1500ks on my new 694s, but I love em! And they were $50 a corner cheaper than Coopers.

bosshog

Time to throw the spot light on the D694s.

I have only travelled 1500ks on my new 694s, but I love em! And they were $50 a corner cheaper than Coopers.

bosshog

Yeah I reckon they would be the pick of the tyres on the backtop by far (which is what steered me towards them), have you had them off road yet?

Yeah I reckon they would be the pick of the tyres on the backtop by far (which is what steered me towards them), have you had them off road yet?

Matt nope not yet to be honest - but they are an AT and I got em in light truck spec so fingers crossed they won't let me down :)

@Bosshog -what size are the 694s you have? and what did they cost ya if ya? if you don't mind me asking.

Considered the 4 rib ATZ Matt?

No mate I hadnt because I thought they may be too much like a mud tyre and not well bahved enough round town. Looking at the site they dont look too bad though. From the poll it looks like my original three choices may be off the mark according to the masses. Might have to reconsider. I will definately check out the 4 ribs a bit more.

Ace tyres can do them or BFG AT's for $310 fitted. I like the better sidewall lugs on the 4 rib.

I have BFG ATs 20000km n look half buggered good on road ok off road but they chip really bad.
The bridgestones 694 I have heard great things about from contractors underground and open cut mining.
Coopers ST are good but for off road driving the extra $50 a tyre needs to be spent on ST/C they are anti chipping tyres and without that they are terrible for puntures and chipping
Just my 2 cents im going Mickeys next i think

Latest posts

Back