Roof top tents

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coogsnav

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals looking at getting a rooftop tent soon and was just looking to see what people have and how they rate it.
Cheers

G'day!
I have a roof top tent and have used them on many different trucks in many different mounting positions! I love them! The ease of use and comfort compared to a tent on the ground or a swag is soo good! And i love the fact that i can leave my pillow and sleeping bag and doona set up in the tent so all i have to do once i pull up is flip off the cover, flip out the tent and grab a can. All in under 60 seconds! So much better then setting up a tent or swag, espically if its raining!!!!!! The tent also makes some cover for cooking or whatever, and also makes a great place to mount a awning for more cover!
For the d22 I made up two cross members for the tray about 180mm high with some angle on the feet to mount them to the tray and u-bolted the rooftop tent to them, thisway the tent in its folded position is inline with the roof so there isant any issue with damage from overhead trees or anything and gets rod of the drag effect from the wind on the highway.
It also keeps the roof racks free if anything needs to go up there, but as we all know, a d22 doesent have the greatest weight rating on the roof too so this also gets around that issue!
I have nothing but good things to say about this setup and will endeavor to get a pic or two up for you soon!
Hope this helps!
:)

Hey albatross, any luck with some pics of your setup? I am interested to see how to mount a roof top tent with no canopy, as most people mount them there.

Saw an interesting setup in Mildura the other day on a Triton. Had the normal tub, then a custom frame that had the top of the tent sitting level with the cab. The 'sides' of the frame were open and used to store maxtrax, shovel etc. Really neat job for the quick look I got at it.

hey mate i also run a rooftop tent an awning i love it awning offers instant shade if (someone get stuck for 3 hours i jsut pull the awnign out and the wife and kids have shade) and the tent just unzips folds out with doona and pillows so so comfy in it i have a weather skirt on the bottom
img232c.jpg

By boxy525 at 2012-06-14
p6110001a.jpg

By boxy525 at 2012-06-14

I didn't want my tent to stick up really high so I made an over tub rack for the tent, goes great, love the tigerz tent too

Attachments

• image-499029636.jpg
    image-499029636.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 4,454
  • image-1399727364.jpg
    image-1399727364.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,847
With my D40, I used 2 original sports bars(front one as originally fitted and the rear one turned back to front) and had them welded together - 3 pieces of aluminium bar. Then mounted the tent to the bars and it lives there pernanently. No probs with strenght - been to Birdsville and back.
Rooftop tent good way to camp - bit crappy when the wind and rains comes up.

With my D40, I used 2 original sports bars(front one as originally fitted and the rear one turned back to front) and had them welded together - 3 pieces of aluminium bar. Then mounted the tent to the bars and it lives there pernanently. No probs with strenght - been to Birdsville and back.
Rooftop tent good way to camp - bit crappy when the wind and rains comes up.

Hey fellas, without making a new thread I'll ask about willym's setup. I have a D22 with the standard sports bar at the front and a single at the back with the support legs removed. I'm a lightweight bit less than 80kg and the mrs around 60. To test the strength we've both swung off the back bar and it didn't move. So surely with weight distributed over both bars there shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

Also not 100% convinced to buy a RTT but part of me badly wants one! We have a good fairly large dome tent which we have no trouble settin up and comfortable with a front room. I also have an ironman awning on order and lookin to get the screen enclosure and use that with swag/stretchers or a lightweight hiking tent. Plan on hitting Cape York next year so what I decide now will be used in the tip trip. Any thoughts on these setups is appreciated.

Cheers,
Guido

Guido, I used a similar set up to that described by willym and while it all seemed strong enough (I'm a bit of a chunky monkey and could swing on them) they simply don't have the moment capacity for the RTT out reach and flexed. See my previous thread here:

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=17236

Latest posts

Back