D22 Vs D40 On and Off Road

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyota254

Reaction score
G'Day guys and gals

I'm in the market for a navara and have taking a D22 ZD30 for a test drive, and my folks have the R51 pathy with the same donk as the D40, I am yet to drive one of the newer D22s so I cant comment on how different they actually are to the pathys.

I liked the D22 except like everyone says, it was abit of a farm car in comparison to the D40.

I have been reading a lot of forums etc and people are giving mixed reviews as to which of these vechicles is better off road. I know the D40 wins hands down for on road.

If the D22 is better off road, then why? I thought torsion bars were supposedly the worst for 4wd’ing?

Will a D40 with 2” lift 32-33” muddies and either a 1” body lift or a 1” coil spacer be capable off road for not overly ‘hard core’ 4wd’ing?

I have a 1996 LN106 hilux with a 2” and 32” muddies, will I be disappointed by the D40 or the D22s capabilities in comparison to my old hilux?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appriciated, cheers!

I can't help with your question but I think you might find yourself in a bit of strife posting the same question in multiple areas of the forum.

I wish you luck :sarcastic:

ime sure you will get a lot of responses
my opinion is the d22's are a great 4wd straight out of the box
(several d22's recently proved that at muster)
d40's are also a great 4wd but need a lift and good tyres to be better
they are BOTH GOOD UTES but are really built for different purposes
the 22 is a workhorse where the 40 is a better tourer and tow car

10 posts just made you annoying.
But going from a live axle front and rear Hilux to an Ifs Navara. Just changing your capabilities. All up to the driver though.
Pick you lines an learn your vehicle an you will be fine. I personally get as far as my mate in his 94 lux. With 4" lift. 33's.
Until big Rock climbing

Wow, with a question like that dont be surprised to get mixed answers, iv got a d40 like you have described except I have a rear air locker and find it pretty capable offroad, and most of the guys that have come out with me would agree, it really depends on how hard you wanna go, the only main thing that holds a d40 back offroad is its weak front diff, because of that I wouldnt run any bigger than 33" tyres, and also just to remember that it isnt a tuff truck so dont be afraid to use your winch on tough sections rather than trying to bounce your way up a hill because it wont last, d40 also have a better power layout and gear ratio's for offroad in low range compared to the 22's, I find ill be in 2nd gear when d22's are in first. 6 of one half dozen of,the other realky, just comes down to personal preference

I have a 2009 st-r and my mate has a 2010 ST d40.

His car is a lot more cumfy than mine, mines more bumpy. Plus hes got a extra gear with more power.

When off road thou i have a fair bit more clearance than his car and can do a bit more if your into 4wdin.

I mainly use it to tow a speed boat so i prob should of gone the ST D40 for the comfort. Its also a bit bigger inside the cabin.

But apart from that my car is great.

D40 picks up 250mm in wheelbase and 500mm in overall length, that can be a bit of a handicap offroad.

I agree with the above responses.

Both cars can and are used off road. On road, the D40 has a lot more room and comfort - particularly if your a tall bugger like I am.

Both cars can be driven off road with a large degree of success with the right tyres. Both cars are helped by a good 2" lift kit - basically just like ANY 4wd will be better with those two things.

The d22 has better ramp over and departure angles - read Dion's post about dimensions.

What are you mostly wanting the Navara for? 1: Work, 2: Family, 3: Touring or 4: Off-Road play. That is the criteria i would suggest you use to base your descision on.
1 or 4, probably the D22 - 2 or 3, probably the d40.

I have a 1996 LN106 hilux with a 2” and 32” muddies, will I be disappointed by the D40 or the D22s capabilities in comparison to my old hilux?

Those old Hilux's are very robust, partly due to the lack of power, but the steering and suspension components are way stronger than the Navara's.

The D40's front end will articulate more than a D22, but the ridiculously long wheel base and terrible turning circle negates that positive. If your looking at hitting the tracks frequently then I would recommend a Patrol but if you really need a 4 door ute then the D22 is great value.

how can one compare the two seriously....chalk and cheese...I mean its not like a comparison between the base '22 v STR

Putting them side by side and looking at them is usually a good start :ha:

Ok then, if you can handle the truth....Da Da Daaaaa, the D40 is a GIRLS car!
belongs only in NGW..
and the 550 is an attempt to attract the male species but as shown on the muster weekend..fell to pieces...

Just because I have a driving dress and long hair doesn't make me a girl that's a bit unfair.

Can't be as good as I thought it was because the bride wont let me do her hair this weekend!

Can't be as good as I thought it was because the bride wont let me do her hair this weekend!

she's worried for her safety as you havent taken heed of the nissan d40 recall awhile back to get an RCD installed on the outlets..

I'm good with sparky bits and the recall was only for wannbe sparky experts, besides I haven't thrashed the wheels off my ute and all the external bits are still where they are suppose to be so I think I'm the SAFE choice.

Back