2WD to 4WD high while moving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbblitz

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if i have to stop my car st-r 2009 manual before i move the gear stick from 2WD to 4WD high or can i do it while the car is moving?

And then ofcourse put it back from 4wd high to 2wd while moving.

Is this fine to do or can this damage something?

Do it while the car is moving providing the hubs are both locked in already. If the driveline is under load or wind-up when you go from 4wd back to 2wd, chances are it won't disengage straight away.

Yeah it's pretty easy. Usually the only time it's difficult is if you're going up hill or around a corner, just push the stick forward, then clutch in and out a few times while you're moving, that should be enough, then just give it some beans and see if only the rear breaks loose; if so, you're good to go on tarmac, hard gravel or whatever.

Do i have to use the clutch to put from 2wd to 4wd if i am staying in the same gear while the car is underway or just push it forward into 4wd.

I just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna damage something.

Last edited:
No not at all, it's just a way to unload the driveline to make it easier to disengage, you'll never damage it. If you're just driving along flat ground you can slam it in and out all you want without any difficulty.

Mate
From 2wd to 4wd just grab the stick and away you go, no need to depress clutch, maybe a slight lift of the right foot but not essential.
When going from 4wd to 2wd i all ways push the clutch in although i expect, that with the transfer case being the last point after the gearbox and before the wheels, this is unnecessary. because both sides of the transfer case are locked to the wheels if you depress the clutch it will just continue to drive the transfer case at the speed you are moving.

So basically just grab the stick and away you go. even when you are moving.

But this is ONLY for 2wd to 4wd hi. ALL WAYS STOP before changing into 4wd LO.

Bryce

Latest posts

Back