Waterfall way!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey all.
i'm looking at traveling the Waterfall Way (Armidale->Coffs Harbour) towards the end of november/start of december. not a 4wd trip as such, but i'm going to take a very lazy 3 days/2 nights to do it from brisbane. It's a photography orientated trip for me, so it's going to be slow going and stopping at most waterfalls to set-up tripods, cameras etc. which is why it's gonna take a while to do.

am looking at a friday/saturday/sunday trip. I plan to camp both nights if possible, so 4wd accessible campgrounds are a possibility.

just wondering if anyone is keen to tag-along? join in part way maybe?

We did the waterfall way the other way a couple of months ago. Rains were a-plenty so the falls were all running beautifully. Started at Newell Falls which the road goes in front of, on to Dorrigo Falls and continued.

There are camp areas at some of the falls, no dogs, they're NPWS-run so they may have a camp fee. We just stayed in Pembroke Caravan Park before heading back home.

Its the road between Armidale and The Coffs Harbour region. Its about 185km long, but you can take some detours and extend it out to around 250kms, and add many hours to the trip.

Cheers Brad.

I dont know that way to well, haven't been down that way in years.

AFAIK, all the camping around there, basically Ebor, is NPWs and something like $10/hd/night and $$7/day/vehicle, except for the one on the north side of Cathedral rock NP(off Guyra-Ebor road).

The only free camping I know off is at Wattle flat in the Styx river state forest, which we remember for its leeches and the fact that you may need 4Wd to get out of if it gets wet.

I just had to go all over the info for our last trip as it was one of the area whe had the option of stayting in for a couple og nights on our way back from Qld recently. Due to rain and icy cold wind we ended up in an expensive pokie cabin at Pembroke CP Armidale.

Hint, buy fuel outside Armidale(very expensive compared to elsewhere).

Take your hiking boots if you want to get to the bottom of the waterfalls you'll have a bit of a hike.

I did that drive a couple of weeks back (other direction) but was running late so had to piss bolt it sadly.
Georges junction campsite is on the Kempsey-Amidale rd, beautiful spot next to river, about an hour inland from Kempsey, get on google earth and zoom in and look at peoples photo's, while you're up there I recommend going to point lookout (think its the highest point in northern NSW) views are awesome.
On google earth have a look at what is state forrest and just wing it i'd say

Georges junction campsite is on the Kempsey-Amidale rd, beautiful spot next to river, about an hour inland from Kempsey,

If that is the one just before you start the climb up the spur to the Styx river State forest area, it Is a very nice site. although it could be a little rocky underneath for tent pegs. Might e a bit out of his road.

what I came here to suggest is using google earth, etc to check out which time of day will give you the best light on the various waterfalls. There are some very deep, steep gorges involved.

Latest posts

Back