Which wire is high beam

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
I have a d22 2005 str. Just wondering. Passenger side lights. Which wire is the high beam one?
Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jap55s said:
I have a d22 2005 str turbo diesel.
Just wondering. Passenger side lights. Which wire is the high beam one?
Thankyou

According to the manual the three wires going to the LEFT headlight are:

Black - negative
Red with Green stripe - low beam
Red with Blue stripe - high beam

Stupidly, the RIGHT headlight also has a "Red with Blue stripe" wire and that's for low beam.

The use of a multimeter is highly recommended, just to be sure.

If the wiring isn't the same as in the service manual, then I guess the multimeter is going to be extra handy. Can't do much more than that unless someone else has the same model wired by the same person on the same day using the same roll of wire ... because sometimes it seems they just grab any piece of cable and use it, rather than adhering to a standard!

Old.Tony said:
If the wiring isn't the same as in the service manual, then I guess the multimeter is going to be extra handy. Can't do much more than that unless someone else has the same model wired by the same person on the same day using the same roll of wire ... because sometimes it seems they just grab any piece of cable and use it, rather than adhering to a standard!

Multimeter? Making it hard for yourself. Just use a test light :)

Multimeter? Making it hard for yourself. Just use a test light :)

Oh but you miss out on the elation when you've finished a complex task successfully.

At least I'm not as bad as the Americans. They poured billions of dollars into sending a man up to the moon so they could pick up a rock. Could have done it in their own garden, but nooooo, let's make it complicated.

Old.Tony said:
Oh but you miss out on the elation when you've finished a complex task successfully.

At least I'm not as bad as the Americans. They poured billions of dollars into sending a man up to the moon so they could pick up a rock. Could have done it in their own garden, but nooooo, let's make it complicated.

Complexity in a simple task. It's how the world goes round these days

Haha. Dad ended up coming to help. Besides. I couldn't get the bloody plug off without peeling back the black rubber protector

hmm. ive attached the relay as per instructions, and now what happens is, the spotlights stay on all the time, but turn off when i flick to highbeam.....,

hmm. ive attached the relay as per instructions, and now what happens is, the spotlights stay on all the time, but turn off when i flick to highbeam.....,

The basic idea is this:

A relay carries power direct from the battery to the driving lights but only when the relay is activated. It's that simple.

The relay should be activated by the headlight's high beam wire (which is positive). This wire should go to one pole on the relay (either pin 85 or 86). The other (86 or 85) should be connected to negative (earth).

The power from the battery should be connected to pin 30.

The driving lights should be connected to pin 87.

My guess is you're using a double-throw relay and the pin you've attached the output to is 87a. Change this to 87 and it should work.

The basic idea is this:

A relay carries power direct from the battery to the driving lights but only when the relay is activated. It's that simple.

The relay should be activated by the headlight's high beam wire (which is positive). This wire should go to one pole on the relay (either pin 85 or 86). The other (86 or 85) should be connected to negative (earth).

The power from the battery should be connected to pin 30.

The driving lights should be connected to pin 87.

My guess is you're using a double-throw relay and the pin you've attached the output to is 87a. Change this to 87 and it should work.

im doing this. but mine has 2x 87. for both the lights. this sound right?

Multimetre or test light.

They will both do the same job for this.

The multimetre has more uses though.

Even a $30 one will do the job.

Ok. Got all the wiring sorted. The lights are working great..... I try them a few hours later... No go.. :(
Tested fuse. That's ok. All wiring tight and secure. Next I'm guessing the relay might be cactus..??

Get someone to try the high beam (with the driving light switch ON) while you're listening to the relay. If you can hear the relay, then it's the connection from pin 30 to the battery.

If you can't hear the relay, either the connection from pin 85 or 86 to the high beam wire is bad, or the earth to 86 (or 85) is bad- or the relay is faulty.

No noise from relay. All wires are secure. So I'm guessing it's relay. Where can I purchase these from? Just like a jaycar or dick smith?

Back