Non-4WD Activities At Muster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One of the suggestions on the muster feedback forms was "RC Car Races" and being an indoor track RC/Car racer (laps on a 30m x 30m carpet track took about 3.8 seconds, it was lightning fast!) this idea intrigued me greatly.

So at the next muster, should we organise something like this? We'd need to find somewhere appropriate and put up a barricade to stop the cars from flying off and hitting people (this was an issue on our indoor track as the cars could do 60km/h or more easily). While you're thinking about this, let's define the types of cars - there are a LOT of variations, and it'd be unfair to put a nitro-powered 1/5th scale against an electric Tamiya.

While I've got your attention on this, what about other activities? They have to be portable and have to withstand "being out in the bush" so jumping castles - which may be fun - are out of the question. Dangerous activities are also out, so no archery.

Thoughts? You guys are the ones who'll be doing it, so let's see what you want. Remember that any of these activities need to be OUTDOOR activities - car racing will be done on grass/dirt/mud/sand.

Last edited:
I think they might have meant radio controlled RC racing like the one ian's son had at the muster. Not slot cars that go on a track

Last edited:
I was referring to radio controlled cars. The car I've got is an indoor-track car, 1/10th scale, capable of over 100km/h (not scale speed, actual). Rides about 1-1.5mm off the track surface, hence unsuitable for outdoors - but suitable for explaining why I'm interested.

And i had to get on my knees and scrub the kitchen floor to get the black marks off the tiles after i got a little throttle happy :sarcastic:

They had a real rocket at the muster too n I think Ian and Scotty had just as much fun as the kids did, till it got stuck in a tree :( n someone had too go get it haha..

As for the RC racing sounds good too me, petrol or electric? On or off road?

Petrol off road sounds good too me but I'm easy.

I like the sound of the rc racing. Although i may be a little byes, I raced nitro powered monster trucks for a few years at liverpool, and like Tony had a few goes on the indoor tracks as well. Great fun for the big kids and the little kids........ even if it is chasing after the crashed cars, they make the best marshals...and it helps them get rid of all that energy.......:sarcastic:

Petrol are bloody noisy, But if thats what you,ve got so be it.
I bought a second hand petrol buggy, I find it hard to control it goes to fast

Well considering its a 4x4 muster and an outdoors/camping thing I wouldve thought the activities would be along those lines, kids usually make there own fun out in the bush so maybe just some footys, cricket set, if parents want to bring kids toys (and yes rc cars included) then sweet but I honestly dont think the comitee really need to worry about it soo much. Please correct me if im wrong but it seemed like the kids were always pretty well entertained

It was a suggestion made, so we're looking at some ideas and trying to get some discussion about it. I thought the kids had fun at this muster, but we don't know how many we're going to get at the next one and if the weather's good - and some of 'em are staying in camp - then we have to find something for them to do.

Re the petrol/electric - yeah petrol is noisy but we have chainsaws too. Pitting an electric off-road car against a petrol might be unfair. I know my Kyosho blows petrol cars away completely - I raised the suspension to about 4mm clearance and dragged a 4WD nitro car (my Kyosho is 4WD), the nitro didn't stand a chance, my car was already 3/4 down the track by the time the nitro's RPM had risen enough to be useful.

Its big kids who buy them for their kids so the big kids can play with them :sarcastic:

Yep, saw that in January with a motor home at Wingello Forest Park. Dad(?,GF was there as well) had brought an R/c helicopter. managed to wreck it in 30mins and then spent over an hour unsuccessfully looking for the part that had broken off. Now it is a heavy pile of junk to carry back to Europe.

If you are going to have fast R/C stuff, practically it is going to have to be outside where it will cause little damage to people and buildings. Inside is just not practical on a weekend basis as you would need a truck load of heavy gear to make a safe track.

we had a petrol off road b4 we got the brushless that joel had at muster
i found i was spending more time tuning the bloody thing than racing it
the kyosho brushless joel has cost nearly $1600 by the time you add good batteries,charger and digital controller(analogue are shit and you cant race an event with analogue at most clubs)
but the kyosho is VERY strong and reliable and very fast with 2 lypo batteries
as for the rocket it cost $80 (came with 2 motors) plus $20 for 3 xtra motors , but watching the kids line up to hit the launch button was worth every cent
and watching the big monkey who climbed the tree to retreive it was good too
what about sack races
egg and spoon races
treasure hunts

Okay, so we don't encourage nitro cars, that's cool, but a nitro 2WD could do some mean circle work!

Sack races & egg+spoon races are a good idea (gotta remember to bring sacks!), we could even find something to offer as prizes for the winner (nothing elaborate, but it'll really help make 'em happy).

Treasure hunts (not treasure TRAILS, which could get disastrous) are a great idea as long as the area is safe. I would be a little concerned at Tooraweenah doing that because outside of the main camping paddock there was a considerable risk of snakes, in particular black snakes.

For kids events like races and hunts, what would you (as parents) want to see your kids receive as a prize? We could just load up a box full of Kinder Surprises and hand 'em out all the time, but some children might have milk/nut intolerances which would rule out a food-base prize. What about other items? What would YOU think is a reasonable thing to give a kid for winning an egg and spoon race - bearing in mind that we'd be likely to hand out similar to ALL of the kids anyway just for participating, because in MY mind, just being part of the event makes you a winner anyway?

Terry - addressing the "inside" aspect - not even considering it. I won't bring my race car because the first blade of grass it comes across it'll get caught on and give up the ghost. I did bring 3 helicopters to the last muster but there weren't any opportunities to bring them out. I have edited my first post to make sure that the idea of the cars being outdoor-only is stressed a little more clearly.

Okay, so we don't encourage nitro cars, that's cool, but a nitro 2WD could do some mean circle work!

Sack races & egg+spoon races are a good idea (gotta remember to bring sacks!), we could even find something to offer as prizes for the winner (nothing elaborate, but it'll really help make 'em happy).

Treasure hunts (not treasure TRAILS, which could get disastrous) are a great idea as long as the area is safe.

For kids events like races and hunts, what would you (as parents) want to see your kids receive as a prize? We could just load up a box full of Kinder Surprises and hand 'em out all the time, but some children might have milk/nut intolerances which would rule out a food-base prize. What about other items? What would YOU think is a reasonable thing to give a kid for winning an egg and spoon race - bearing in mind that we'd be likely to hand out similar to ALL of the kids anyway just for participating, because in MY mind, just being part of the event makes you a winner anyway?

what about $20 kmart gift vouchers ect for race winners and a small show bag for all participants
maybee the treasure hunt prize could be some thing like a new bike,one for the boys and one for the girls ,they are pretty cheep atm
we could part finance prizes with a small race entry fee
ime all for anything that makes the kids trip more enjoyable and would happily pay a bit xtra in ticket prices too see this happen
sparra

Last edited:
Well considering its a 4x4 muster and an outdoors/camping thing I wouldve thought the activities would be along those lines, kids usually make there own fun out in the bush so maybe just some footys, cricket set, if parents want to bring kids toys (and yes rc cars included) then sweet but I honestly dont think the comitee really need to worry about it soo much. Please correct me if im wrong but it seemed like the kids were always pretty well entertained

maybee we could form a sub comitee made up of mums to organise kids entertinment
just a thought

sparra04 said:
what about $20 kmart gift vouchers ect for race winners and a small show bag for all participants
maybee the treasure hunt prize could be some thing like a new bike.

The gift vouchers and show bags are a good idea, but the bikes might be a bit big. That would mean someone from the committee would have to pack them along with all their own camping gear limiting there space for there own stuff.

Chocolate and lollies always work well on kids too.

Latest posts

Back