what muddies, what rims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BravoBrad

Reaction score
So I have started the search for some new rims and muddies, and have the following question as different shops are quoting different rims etc.

I am planning 265/75/16 and have the following options. Anyone got any opinions?

Steel Rims Options

16 X 7
16 x 8

Tyres Options

Mickey Thompson MTZ
Big Horns
Hankooks

they will fit the 8 better, less buldging, straighter sidewall allows for better wear on the shoulder. I'm a mickey fan but they will cost more gorillas

I use 31x10.5 Nankang Mudstars for 15" sunraysia rims. The Mudstars are an obvious take off of the Maxxis Buck Shot. I payed $200 per tyre and would defiantly get them again.

I would go with the Bighorns over the Mudstars if I had the cash as they have more side wall tread which can be helpful in sticky situations. Out of your list though the MTZ for sure.
As for Rims, something with a dish at least to avoid nasty scratches.

Last edited:
I have King's wheels 16x7's +18 offset. The +18 offset over 0 is that the the 0 of set will sit further out on you guards.

iv got the bighorns on standard rims at them moment, will be going the 16x8 in 0 offset next with a more aggresive mud terrain, looking at the silverstone extremes, but i do abit more mud driving than others

When I was pricing up bighorns and MTZ's the new version of the bighorns were only $10 cheaper then the MTZ's so I got the Micky T's.

Happy as Larry so far but have only put 500kms on them.

So the new 265/75/16s are mounted up on King 16x7's, put them on, and on inspection they were looking very close when on close to full lock. After running for a couple of days, I see I am rubbing the inner guard (it must be only just rubbing, as I havn't felt/heard it.)

Does anybody have a picture of how they either reshaped or cut their inner guard (Behind the tyre)

I ran bighorns on my patrol and they had scratches up the sides and all over, my old shorty ute use to drive everything and the lasted very well. So I went with them again, 285s rub so I went 265/75 and went with old pattern as I liked it more. 16x8's with 0 offset are the go dynamic wheels do them specifically for the d40.

I have a set of BFG 285/75x16's sitting at home doing nothing so I'm putting them on the stock alloy rims and see what happens, if they bulge I'll get some 16x8 rims, but if they bind up I may have to drop down to 265's.

I'm prepared to do some panel mods if I need to to run taller tyres.

Any pics Brad????

I took the fronts off yesterday, and took to it with a heatgun,which has helped, but I think I need to do a bit more to it,

d40mtz.jpg

Finally got 2 mins spare to take some flictures..

Details
2011 D40 Kingcab - STX (Thai)
ARB 2" Lift
MTZ 265/65/16
King 16*7 rims

Top Clearance (looks good)

mtztop.jpg

Front Clearance (Looks good)

mtzfront.jpg

Behind Clearance with wheels straight ahead (OK, but not great)

mtzbehind1.jpg

Behind Clearance - Full Lock (hmmm.. rub mark near finger )
As can be seen, this is well past the full lock position. At full lock they do not appear to rub

mtzlock.jpg

continued.....

Latest posts

Back