G'day and a quick question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullwinkle

Reaction score
G'day all. Just joined as I'm about to buy an ST-R and this looks like a great site to get some opinions.

My brother has just updated his work ute and is selling his 2003 ST-R dual cab ute. He's a tradie, and the ute has been used to pull his trailer around here in Ballarat to various worksites. He bought the ute new in 2003 and it has done 130,000 kms. He had an alloy tray on it with ladder racks, which he is putting onto the new ute (a Triton GLX 4x4 dual cab). He has replaced the tray with a new tub, and has fitted a lockable hard lid. The ute also has the alloy bull bar and driving lights that came as a special deal when he bought it. Overall it's in pretty good nick, with the back seat hardly ever used.

I assume that he has had it serviced as required, but I will be checking the history - he's like me and looks after things pretty well. Assuming that this aspect is OK, do you reckon $20,000 is a fair price?

We come from a farming background, so are familiar with diesel vehicles, and I have driven a 2007 ST-R a fair bit in a previous job. The ute will be my daily driver, with the odd trip down to the beach packed with all the family stuff.

Any opinions and thoughts on things to look for/keep an eye on will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
They were 30k new drive away up here at the end of last year so I would say $20 would be about tops. Others might know better than me though.

20k sounds realistic, provided it's in pretty good condition. The thought of an ex 'tradies' ute sends images of scratches and dents through my head! I'm sure it's just a stereotype.

They seem to be selling 2nd hand ST-R's for top dollar still...especially car yards. They must be a wanted vehicle. I've also noticed the new ST-R prices have gone from 29990 up to 35990. Add the extras and it would be nudging 40k!

Guido

Hi bullwinkle, welcome to the forums.

As the others have said I think it would be a fair price if it's in very good nick, aesthetically and mechanically, especially if it's done a lot of heavy towing.

Thanks for the replies. I may be able to talk him down a bit - don't want to go too hard though. The trailer usually doesn't weigh much, just things like his power tools, leads etc. Still, should I be worried about gear box and clutch issues?

Clutch depends on how its been driven.

Gearbox are strong, again if its been treated well you wont have a problem.

Dave.

Picking up the ute this weekend. The brother was telling me the other day that he bought the tub in Melbourne - it was taken off a ute when new, and with the hard lid (unpainted), tub liner, tonneau cover and all lights, he paid $700. The irony is he sold his original tub a couple of years ago to a mate who runs a panel shop for $1,000!!

My 12 year old son can't wait for us to do a bit of bush-bashing.

At last

Well I finally got the Navara last night, after a delay at the panel beaters with painting the hard lid. I've only done about 40 kms in it so far, but pretty impressed. As I mentioned, I have driven this model before at a previous job, but those utes were basically brand new. My ute seems to be a lot less twitchy, more responsive and generally better behaved on the road. After a detail, it came up a lot better than I thought it would, both inside and out. The duco has a few scratches, most of which will buff out and the interior is pretty good - probably need to get the carpets and roof lining steam cleaned, which I can get done at the missus work for nicks.

My brother had remote central locking installed when he got it, which was a pleasant surprise when he handed me the keys last night. He also had heavy duty springs put on when he got it to help with carrying stuff and towing the trailer. It sits up a bit high at the back, but I'll leave it alone for the moment.

Probably the only thing needing attention is the door ashtray on the back driver's side door. The plastic surround is cracked. Just a minor thing, but I'll see if the local wreckers
can help, unless anyone here can?

I'll put some pics up on the weekend, hopefully. We have been getting some new signage done at work, so I had a word to the sign guy and he's done me a 30 cm tall sticker of this image to put in the back window. Should look great! I've been known as Bullwinkle to many people since I was 14 (nearly 30 years - blooody hell!!)

Attachments

• bullwinkleute.jpg
    bullwinkleute.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 58
G'day folks. Just a quick note to say I've traded in the Nav on a 2013 Triton GLXR ute. As this was where I started on the Nav forum, I thought it was a good place to end. Thanks to all for building such a fantastic community: it's a pretty rare thing to have no dickheads in a forum like this. After 1,000 Kms in the Triton, I'm very happy with the it - got a few more mod cons, a fair bit more go and a lot more comfortable. Cheers to all.

Man if it puts a smile on you and ya' kids dial it's worth a million dollars :) Seriously though a 03 with 130'odd k's should be a good motor and a good rig, Sure expect a clutch- but by the sounds of it it was only a tradies trailer = nothing! Locally driven- short trips, if you cant get 200'000ks out of that clutch I'd be surprised- just did my clutch in a zd30 '03 250'ooo ks with constant 300+ in the tray!

G'day all. Just joined as I'm about to buy an ST-R and this looks like a great site to get some opinions.

My brother has just updated his work ute and is selling his 2003 ST-R dual cab ute. He's a tradie, and the ute has been used to pull his trailer around here in Ballarat to various worksites. He bought the ute new in 2003 and it has done 130,000 kms. He had an alloy tray on it with ladder racks, which he is putting onto the new ute (a Triton GLX 4x4 dual cab). He has replaced the tray with a new tub, and has fitted a lockable hard lid. The ute also has the alloy bull bar and driving lights that came as a special deal when he bought it. Overall it's in pretty good nick, with the back seat hardly ever used.

I assume that he has had it serviced as required, but I will be checking the history - he's like me and looks after things pretty well. Assuming that this aspect is OK, do you reckon $20,000 is a fair price?

We come from a farming background, so are familiar with diesel vehicles, and I have driven a 2007 ST-R a fair bit in a previous job. The ute will be my daily driver, with the odd trip down to the beach packed with all the family stuff.

Any opinions and thoughts on things to look for/keep an eye on will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

No disrespect to you but $20k is a lot to spend on a 2003 D22. I have just bought a 2013 with 25000km on the clock, it has an iron man roobar with a winch, lightbar, 2 x HID spotlights, an ARB rear canopy, has been lifted 2.5inches with Old Man Emu gear and still smells new. Sorry mate but i got a steal with change from $25K. This was from a dealer in Perth (Westate Autos)
...Andyfusc

No disrespect to you but $20k is a lot to spend on a 2003 D22. I have just bought a 2013 with 25000km on the clock, it has an iron man roobar with a winch, lightbar, 2 x HID spotlights, an ARB rear canopy, has been lifted 2.5inches with Old Man Emu gear and still smells new. Sorry mate but i got a steal with change from $25K. This was from a dealer in Perth (Westate Autos)
...Andyfusc
Original posts stating the $20k price tag were from 2009. So would have been a decent price back then...

Back