Little help please about navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezzablue

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Enjoy reading the forum and need a little help please. Have a single axel caravan GVM around 1550. Have been towing with 35l pajero. I now want to update to a ute looked at Bravo but concerned as maximum towing weight is 1800 so I am getting up there. Aa I want a diesel(never owned one before) need a 4x4 for a bit of beach work, some off road for getting firewood and just general mucking around. I have a mate whose a mechanic and told me he would'nt speak to me if I got a rodeo. Leave me with Triton or Nissan. The Navara seem to have more power and extras. Would appreciate and help. Was looking at spending up to $20000 so looking aroud early 2000. Also could someone explain the difference between D21, D22 and D40
Thanks
Tezzablue

What was his qualm with the Rodeo?

The D21, 86-97, was a cleansheet design over the old Datsun 720. It has manual locking hubs, a manual transfer case, either a 5spd manual or automatic and four engine options, 2.4L petrol I4, 2.5L diesel I4, 2.7L diesel I4 and 3L petrol V6, all are very ordinary compared with D22 motors. The D22 is a very similar car, basically a comprehensive update, same manual trans and transfer case, manual locking hubs, very similar chassis but new engines and interior/exterior. The D40 is a cleansheet design with electronic transfer case and auto locking hubs, out of your price range.

Go the D22 if you're getting a Navara. If you're going with a diesel, it's best if it has a turbo.

Hi tezza.

Id head toward the D22.

D21 come in pre 2000 I belive.
D22 from 2001 till current (they are still building them now!!!)
D40 from 2007.

The D22 is starting to get its feet in regards to parts and performance items in the last couple of years. They dont have the same repour as the Hilux as many 4x4 owners have had and swear by the luxes.

D22 will take you anywhere you want to go and pull just about anything you need. Its robust anough with stand a few knocks and can be driven a little hard if the terrain calls for it. Theres plenty of space and heaps of tray room.
Plus its old enough now that you wont feel bad if you drill a couple of holes to fit the UHF, lol.
for 20k that woud see you getting an 01 -03 D22 with a few kms. 25k would see you getting a great car with low kms and fairly well looked after.

The ZD30 engine in the D22 (Earlier models) have a reputation for being hand grenades, however, these are rather unccomfimed and only a few people have had dramas with them. I wouldnt dwell over this issue too much as it comes down to who you buy it from.

I had a look at the Rodeo before I got myne and the customer base wasnt established enough for me to buy one. I couldnt find much useful information on them and found it hard to come by anyone who knew anything about them.
Parts would be hard to come by, plus its just a jazzed up Isuzu and they are finally releasing their model this year.

Hope this helps.
I started to rave on a bit after a while but you got the jidst of what I was saying.

If anyone else wants to correct me please do so.

Regards,

Stuart

Latest posts

Back