Do i need suspension upgrade?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powelly

Reaction score
Hi all

I've done a bit of a search in the forum but haven't come up with anything so here goes (be nice its my 2nd post).

In the near future i'm installing a ARB deluxe winch bar to my 2011 ST navara (without a winch for now). Do i require a suspension upgrade straight away or will stock items handle the job for the time being. Eventually, funds permitting, i will be putting in a 2inch lift with all new gear, but can't see that happening for a while.

The reason i ask is i had the same style bar on my Colorado (without upgraded suspension) and i had to have the front shocks replaced after 20000kms from having the additional weight over the front.

Any advice will be appreciated

Cheers

Powelly

a 2 inch lift really is ideal with heavier springs on the front to accomodate the extra weight but if you wanna do it on the cheap just for now untill you can afford the 2" kit just chuck some 35mm spacers on the front to level out the ride again. shocks should be too much of a problem pending on what kind of driving you do but once again will be replaced when you do the lift kit

I have the ARB deluxe winch bar with no winch & have stock springs. I am quite happy but probably not all that fussy.

Suck it & see. It won't ride on the bump stops.

Happy travels

Old.Tony said:
Shocks generally don't deteriorate from extra weight - springs do. Shocks deteriorate from extra bounce, like corrugated roads.

Not true. An over compressed standard spring that can't support weight can keep a shock at a "compressed" position and not allow it to use it's full extension. In time wearing it out. Especially standard shocks. Useless with no weight anyways. As bad as the standard rear leaf springs.

I always thought a shock absorber was just a valve on a stick that was pushed through oil in order to dampen motion and it didn't matter where that valve was in the oil, as long as it moved motion would be dampened (hence the alternative name "dampeners").

I might go learn some more about shocks, to see how having a shock absorber start its motion from a slightly more compressed state will wear it out faster than in a slightly less compressed state, which is what we're talking about.

Back