255's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I'm up for some new tyres soon. I know the 265/75x16's fit OK but they're just not high enough. The 285/75x16's are too wide for my liking so I'm keen on the 255/85x16's

Anyone running them on a D40? Anyone know of anyone else running them on a D40, anyone heard of anyone running them on a D40?

I've heard the 285's can scrub, but where? Is it the inside edge of the tyre on the inside of the guard or where?? I;m hoping as the 255's are narrower than the 285's I may get around the rubbing problem.

Hi Siringo,

I am by no means an expert, however you will find some info on understanding tyre sizing here: Reading your tyre size

The 255's will be narrower than the 285's (by 30mm) and I would suggest that yes, 285's will scrub depending on what mods you have. (a search of the forum could proove me wrong, try that out first)

I have a 2in lift on my STX and I have 265/75/16 's fitted without a drama at all, I am told that these will fit a stock D40, however I have also been told they will not!

A 265/70/16 is another size option for you, that's a little shorter than a 265/75 if you don't have any lift at all.

I think it goes without saying that you should go and speak to a few tyre shops in your area and get some advice from people who deal with this stuff every day. Some will be helpful, others will not, but if you go to enough places you should be able to work fact out from fiction :)

good luck

Brad

gday

i just put on some MT ATZ 285/75/R16 on mine after giving it a lift between 2-3 inch's.

the rear tyres is no problem , the front tyres rub on the outside edges as you take a corner.
the front plastic tyre guards come off with a few screws to avoid the front of the tyre to scrub but then there is a light scrub behind the front tyre on plastic tyre guard and the actual plastic tyre well casing itself .

hope that helps

mitch

Your odometer will be out by 10% - that's how much larger these tyres are to standard (255/70R16). Circumference goes up from 2398mm to 2638mm and the number of revolutions to travel one kilometre drops from 417 to 379.

You'll notice an increase in fuel consumption and a loss in power - but with the centre of your axle moving from 381.7mm up to 419.95mm (nearly 40mm) you'll be able to clear more obstacles.

285/85s would take your axles up to 445mm - about 65mm of extra height under your diff. Add a 50mm body lift and 50mm suspension lift and you'll turn heads - hopefully not the police's!

Thanks Tony, the increase in fuel consumption is a slight concern, but powerwise, these things have power to burn if you ask me, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mitch did you fit the 285's to the standard rims?

yeah they went on the standard rims no worries. but some other brands could sit different on the wheel.

I am also looking at going down the path with 255 85 16. Have been talking to Zordo re suspension requirements and the one thing was mentioned that the standard 16x7 wheels on the D40 will take these which was of interest as I won't have to purchase additional wheels. On the cards Jan/Feb before the trip
WayneD4T

Latest posts

Back