DPF Advise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzkev

Reaction score
hi guys i know there has been alot said and mentioned to the DPF in the 2.5 auto diesel in regards to fuel economy etc ... mine has it ... fuel economy isnt the best at all i have read the threads about this and different other places such as chipit's website, the seem to be saying "Get rid of it " well in so many words :) i have contacted Chip it about the chips and the replacement pipes etc and what they are saying the increase in power and fuel economy ... what i would like to know or hear from somebody that has done this mod, and the results ?? Chipit maintain that without the chip the diesel still puffed Black smoke on take off but once the chip was installed it stopped .. very keen to learn alot more to this ! next curious question why just the auto ?? also i am waiting to hear from tune it ... been a few days nothing back as yet, anybody know of anyone in Brisbane that is onto this ...

Cheers Kev ..
:cheers!:

Last edited:
Do a search for Bosshog's thread, he has about the most in depth removal of a DPF on this forum I think. I don't know what chips he has but his thread has helped many people.

and just a small side note....removal of the DPF is illegal....
your choice...just puttin out the info

yeah i sorta wondered if it was due to emissions etc .... so there has to be a better way to improve fuel consumption ??

Na....most of it is in the way you drive the thing...ya CANT be a leadfoot...has been proven by many a salon driver on here.

Emissions are a part of the legality of it. Removal also will void most parts of an engine warranty I would guess.

However the DPF is not and will never be the only contributor to bad (or adverse) fuel economy.

Na....most of it is in the way you drive the thing...ya CANT be a leadfoot...has been proven by many a salon driver on here.

In fairness to us salon drivers....A leadfoot in a D22 will also increase fuel consumption, this is not a D40 feature alone.

:) lead foot no sorry that isnt me at all ...i drive trucks for a living and had a hino with much the same thing DPF it also sucked the fuel !! to my of thinking it restricts the engine greatly !

DPF's have been fitted to diesel engines for about 30 years so if all diesels with them suffered bad economy manufacturers wouldn't be selling engines. Sure new technology is showing that there is alternatives to a DPF and in time they will probably be used but to blame all your economy issues on the DPF is just looking for something to blame.

The DPF isn't inhibiting performance much. What it does do is require some fuel to be squirted into the exhaust stroke so that it can burn off the soot that's captured. The fact that I can see shiny metal INSIDE my exhaust proves that it does something positive - my D40 doesn't blow smoke, period.

But I consume extra fuel to do that. To properly get rid of the DPF, you need to remove the DPF and fool the ECU into never needing to conduct a regen. Otherwise, every 100-300km I'll get an automated dump of fuel into the exhaust.

DPF's have been fitted to diesel engines for about 30 years so if all diesels with them suffered bad economy manufacturers wouldn't be selling engines. Sure new technology is showing that there is alternatives to a DPF and in time they will probably be used but to blame all your economy issues on the DPF is just looking for something to blame.

Well the Nissan's suffer badly with them as far as fuel economy goes, I realise auto's do chew a bit more than manuals but it shouldn't be 2LPHK and upwards. They use extra fuel to do the burn, if I had of known about them before I bought my car I wouldn't have bought it.

Well the Nissan's suffer badly with them as far as fuel economy goes, I realise auto's do chew a bit more than manuals but it shouldn't be 2LPHK and upwards. They use extra fuel to do the burn, if I had of known about them before I bought my car I wouldn't have bought it.

That's just biased crap for someone who doesn't want to know all the facts. Auto's don't all use more fuel and with advancements in technology they are getting better all the time.

The extra fuel used in the burn would be unlikely to add even 1 lph unless it happened on a regular basis and every 300ks is barely a regular basis. If lucky the burn might increase economy several lph for the time of the burn but that's hardly going to be a huge effect on the whole tank.

Fine you don't like them but they aren't the evil and deadly little monster you make them out to be. As for Chip it they sell a delete pipe of course they will say the DPF is restrictive, the more people that believe them the more delete pipes they sell.

Excuse me, biased crap?

So how do you explain the big differences in fuel consumption between the manuals and the auto's?
Please tell me all of the facts?

My 09 with a DPF has been as low as 8.7 and constantly sits below 10's except when I'm skulldragging trailers around the paddocks. For a two tonne wind break I don't consider that bad economy.

I'm also one of the few who admits to driving for economy and while it's impossible to compare my driving to anyone elses on this forum it still means not all autos and not all DPF's make bad economy.

Its true Arty, he drives like nothin you could even imagine.
sit no more above 90-95klm on the hwy and you too will get those magical figures....its not rocket science.

97-100 thank you speed demon :ha:

But there is more to driving for economy than just keeping it under 100 however it eludes so many people and they end up blaming all manner of other things.

Latest posts

Back