centre driveshaft bearing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan93

Reaction score
hey all got a new centre driveshaft bearing in a box... my old is is absoltuely destroyed, hands down the worst you will have even seen, anyways, anyone know what im in for?
is it a press fit or slide fit ect?
any special tools ill need?

cheers fellas

Big arse rattle gun. Press. Possibly strap wrench. New stake nut to replace the old one.

If you use a rattle gun, you might not need a strap wrench. Trying to hold the thing still is hard when you're getting into it with a breaker bar, it's a lot easier if you're using a rattle gun.

A stake nut is a nut you can "stake" into a longitudinal slot in the thread so it can't come undone. I've seen them reused but it doesn't always work.

If you use a rattle gun, you might not need a strap wrench. Trying to hold the thing still is hard when you're getting into it with a breaker bar, it's a lot easier if you're using a rattle gun.

A stake nut is a nut you can "stake" into a longitudinal slot in the thread so it can't come undone. I've seen them reused but it doesn't always work.

i dont even know what nut your on about aha, i was just gonna rip the housing cover off, 2 bolts, then split the uni joint by the 4 bolts, then pull the shaft out... but i havent had a proper look yet

Getting the shaft out is the easy part, you don't have to split the uni joint, just undo the flange (I think that's what you mean by the four bolts anyway). The hard part is getting the flange OFF the shaft so you can slide the old centre bearing off and the new one on. The stake nut is the big one holding the flange onto the shaft.

yeeeooowwwwwwww.... piece of piss guys, in and out in under 20 mins, drop the 4 bolts on the flange, take the 2 bolts of the housing out , slide the shaft off and out, stick it in a vice

grab a 27mm socket and ratchet and turn the stake nut off, tap the flange with a hammer, and smash the old race out with a chisel and hammer, slide the new bearing on (use a piece of pipe to smash the inner race onto the shaft (wont take much)), regrease for safe precautions and tighten the stake nut, and put back on car :D

hey presto

yeah mate, just undid it whilst the first stake was still knocked in and it popped out a lil, didnt even damage the thread, then yeah just smashed it back in after i did it up again

Latest posts

Back