How many lights, watts, or amps before bigger alt is needed?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
Im just wondering, I'm currently installing about another 4 - 6 spotties on my navara, And wondering, how many is too many on standard alternator? Or does it go by the amps, or watts drawn?
Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Im just wondering, I'm currently installing about another 4 - 6 spotties on my navara, And wondering, how many is too many on standard alternator? Or does it go by the amps, or watts drawn?
Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

might be an idea to install an '08 or later D22 alt in (90a) or bigger.

Your alternator output is rated at a fairly high RPM too. If you work out that you can have 20A of normal items (ECU, instrument panel, stereo) plus say 10A for your other lights and with a 90A alternator you can have (90-30)/8 = 7 driving lights, you MUST remember that this only works when you're revving the engine fairly hard - the alternator needs about 2500rpm if you have a Mishitibus alternator and 5000rpm if you have a Hitachi according to the D22 service manual, p49 of EL.PDF.

Not near car ATM, but isn't 5000RPM close to redline, if not past it??

Probably is, Mitch. I can't help what the manual says though. It was not completely clear if that was engine rpm or alternator rpm either.

The alternator pulley looks to be approximately 2/3 the size of the crankshaft pulley in the drawing in the manual. At a guess that makes the circumference of the crank pulley just over twice the circumference of the alternator pulley, so the alternator probably rotates at double the rate of the engine.

tony, im not arse smart as you, that alternator talk confuses me. haha, ill just try to upgrade to the patrol one.
thanx

It's important stuff. An alternator rated at 90A only delivers that at high rpm. Below that you're not delivering 90A - so if you put 90A of lights up, at idle your battery is bearing a LOT of load and could easily fail.

Go the Troll alternator for sure, but it would be wise to resist the temptation of putting up a set of ten 100W driving lights.

most vehicles the alt is spinning twice or thereabouts the engine rpm's
and for example, Bosch alt's are 'rated' to 14,000rpm, so I would imagine the jap ones are similar,
and,
yes the higher the rated current output of the alt, the higher the rpm's needed to initiate decent output and as mentioned 2500 alt rpm's will do it.

chuck on the 120a alternator and there wont be an issue, you will know if it starts to drain your battery too much as the lights wil start to dim, then all you have to do is turn off the lights and give it some revs for abit

Na, I wouldn't want one.

Even the GU drivers dont bother to get another one with a clutch.

Thats if they stuff there alternators.

Latest posts

Back