paint or powder coat ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizz007

Reaction score
what do you reckon would be best , has anyone done this to there standard alloys if so pop up a pick ,

what would be the advantages and disadvantages for both paint and powder coat

Funny you should ask as I've just bought a second set of std alloys to paint/powdercoat. I've been researching for months about which is the best way to go. Most powdercoating mobs charge around $50.00 - $70.00 per wheel to prep/coat the full wheel. This is not a bad price and they do look good when done. The only negative is if they are chipped, you cannot touch up the chip successfully with normal spray paint, (or so I'm told).

I've also read heaps of articles on people who have painted their rims, and they look a million dollars, lot more manual prep work involved especially to get the inner rim properley clean, but you can do it yourself and save heaps of money.

Me, I'm leaning towards powdercoating, drop the wheels off, pick them up in a week, all done. But, then spray painting them yourself would be quite satisfying..............

Heres a pic of someone on the Frontier forums who painted his rims matt black. You also find some that only paint the outside of the rim, and leave the inside silver, this looks crap and they might as well not even bother if thats all they are prepared to do.

Attachments

• i-IMG_0748.jpg
    i-IMG_0748.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Powder Coating is a harder finish but not as fine a finish as paint. Painting is heaps harder to do especially if you wanna do it yourself.To have them professionally done will cost you a heap.It all comes down to time with a professional painter.Most wheels even aftermarket are painted .If you want the finish to be higher quality go paint , if you want them to last the distance as offroad wheels then powder coating is best

They are wheels. If it were to be a hot rod and show piece then 2 Pac with what ever colour and finish you want. If they are for everyday use on the road then Powder coat. If they are offroad or you want to do it yourself then VHT in a can in whatever engine enamel or caliper paint colour that tickles your fancy with the urethane clear over the top. Its not that hard.

Powdercoat - $400-500 including blasting
2 Pac - start at $600 and the sky is the limit
DIY using spray cans from Autobarns - $100 tops.

They are wheels. If it were to be a hot rod and show piece then 2 Pac with what ever colour and finish you want. If they are for everyday use on the road then Powder coat. If they are offroad or you want to do it yourself then VHT in a can in whatever engine enamel or caliper paint colour that tickles your fancy with the urethane clear over the top. Its not that hard.

Powdercoat - $400-500 including blasting
2 Pac - start at $600 and the sky is the limit
DIY using spray cans from Autobarns - $100 tops.

so true i did my own on my landrover in a charcol and they turn out great did have to do a few touch ups after offroading by no probs

i did my own on my landy turned out great did need a few touch ups after off roading but it was simple to do
first i wash them real good then wet n dry sand them back 1000-1200 grit (i think) then paint all the edges and hard to get spots first lightly then go 4 it i used 1 can per wheel and i got it from bunnings cost about $ 15 a can

Powder Coating is a harder finish but not as fine a finish as paint. Painting is heaps harder to do especially if you wanna do it yourself.To have them professionally done will cost you a heap.It all comes down to time with a professional painter.Most wheels even aftermarket are painted .If you want the finish to be higher quality go paint , if you want them to last the distance as offroad wheels then powder coating is best

Wrong answer.

S14
Hows Go Blow a Goat grab ya lol
Hey its an opinion and contrary to common belief everyone can have one.
I have painted wheels and any painter will tell you powder coat still wont give you the same finish as paint .
That being said powder Coating is damm good these days .

Aido
Bite Me ! is another 2 word reply lol

yeah, been a little dull without you.. still got your lemon yeah?

i did my own on my landy turned out great did need a few touch ups after off roading but it was simple to do
first i wash them real good then wet n dry sand them back 1000-1200 grit (i think) then paint all the edges and hard to get spots first lightly then go 4 it i used 1 can per wheel and i got it from bunnings cost about $ 15 a can

Pretty sure I have seen that Landy getting around.

Looks familiar anyways.

As for Aido's, Aussie's etc posts. Play nice.

Oh and this place has changed, but dont look at me.

It was the silent ones who whinged and took away the fun factor.

One would think they're running the forum, but no.

They just complain and contribute a post once a month.

Krankin's right, some people want this place to be a libary I swear.

Anyways, back on topic.

On my wheels I used some satin black 3m paint from super cheap , can't believe how well it stays on and when it scratches just give it a quick spray again , easy

I painted some with automotive acrylic using a compressor & spray gun. From memory (it gets shorter with each passing day), first was the etch prime, undercoat, colour then clear.

I was real fussy & they looked a million bucks but have chipped a bit from stones & when I replaced tyres, the wheel weights had damaged the paint underneath.

I reckon it would have been better to have had them powder coated as the finish is harder & it just took so long for me to do.

Ooooohhh, interesting. Plastidip you say. Just checked a few ewe-tube videos on this, seems to go on nicely, and by the looks of it, you can peel it off at a later date if you get sick of it. Love ewe-tube, there are heaps of videos on spraypainting/powdercoating and now plastidipping your wheels, makes it all too easy.

S14
Hows Go Blow a Goat grab ya lol
Hey its an opinion and contrary to common belief everyone can have one.
I have painted wheels and any painter will tell you powder coat still wont give you the same finish as paint .
That being said powder Coating is damm good these days .

Aido
Bite Me ! is another 2 word reply lol
Geez fellas have a wank and relive the pressure!! And yes you cant beat 2-pack over powder coat, 2-pack is less flexible, 100% better finish, harder to chip and chemical resistant. You should know that, your an qualified expert spraypainter aren't you? Try wiping overspray off powder coat with thinners or even a good quality prepsol and watch it melt. What about when you get a chip in powder coat, overtime it just lifts off.
I restore all the classic Porsche biante race cars that travel round Australia with the V8 supercars, all of them have etched and powder coated under belly's. It was the customers choice to do it, one chip and back to being a rust bucket, ha ha money in the bank. Was your 4x2 Nav painted in Glas water or solvent?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back