Leaking snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banga

Reaction score
Hi guy's

I've recently installed a genuine nissan snorkel to my D40.
The other day i decided to test how well i sealed it by blocking the snorkel intake (with top of snorkel removed) to see if it would stall.
No luck, the engine did seem to labour a bit but it kept on idling, i could hear it sucking air around the bottom of the air box.
How serious is this in a water crossing? would it suck enough water kill the engine or would it keep sucking mostly air through the snorkel.
I'm sure i know the answer but had to ask.

I know my snorkel leaks but with a wading bra it'll keep most of the water out of the engine bay anyway. Air will come in via the path of least resistance - that's your snorkel.

Generally, that is. You could get unlucky. Sikaflex is good stuff too, others have done it.

Yoru engine will also pull air through the crankcase vent. Most of the time the hose from the rocker cover to the air intake pipe after the air filter.

Also a lot of air cleaner filter housings have a pre cleaner, If the Navara has this the will be a small vent for the dirt that is cleaned out of the air falls to the bottom of housing and emptys out through this valve. Air would get into the filter housing if main intake was blocked off but only a small amount of water if any at all would get in if air cleaner under water.

VBsteve

My D40 Spain built has a small hole in the bottom of the air box, which I imagine is where you are getting air in. Mine is blocked off which means no water in, but also means no water (rain) out....

I saw on one of those freebee 4wd action mag DVD's the mechanic fella that looks like a garden gnome (Alan?) saying you shouldn't ever block your snorkel as it can destroy the turbo, anyone know anything about that?

If your turbo is fully spooled up - 2000rpm on the 4cyl, maybe 1700rpm on yours Rich - then blocking the intake could cause the intake hose to collapse and I suppose without the cool air coming in the compressor wheel could heat up badly - that might destroy it.

At idle though, the turbo is barely ticking over and wouldn't be a problem.

Garden gnome. Haha!

When blocking off the air intake the negitive pressure in the air intake could cause the clean air (cold wheel) side seal to leak engine oil into the engine intake side. But at idle should be OK.

I would be only guessing, any leak around joins or through small holes in air filter housing would be not enough to fill a engine with water.
The main reason to have the air intake as high as possible is to stop water flooding through the 100mm square opening and filling the air hoses and filter housing

VBSteve

my sucks around the seal of the air filter tried a few filters with no luck. there are a few hole you had to seal in the air box but if you try your snorkel after installing the pressure will suck the sikaflex in if it has no time to set i found out ....

Hi banga, I had the same problem with mine. When I had a closer look I found that the moulded plastic tube that runs from the guard to the air box was only clipped together with nothing to seal the join same with the precleaner. Worth looking at there was big gaps in mine!
Cheers Glenn

remove the air box and seal all seems and 2 drain holes with sikaflex they leak like sives ive sucked water into my engine through the drain holes i was stuck in a creek up to the door handles so the air box was submerged

Thanks for the response guys, very helpful. I had actually sealed the drain hole in the bottom of the air box so i think the leak could be coming from the joins before the airbox as glenn suggested, i'll have to do some further investigating. Cheers

Back