STX 550 drive front or rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBsteve

Reaction score
Hello

Can any one tell if the STX 550 is front or rear wheel drive in 2wd?

It looks as if the engine is a east west fit. The crank shaft is across the car.
Is this right?

Thanks

Steve.

Its a rear wheel drive. V6 with the crankshaft running from front to rear. Turbo nestled in above the 'V' at the rear of the engine - not the best place for it.

Thanks Guys
Nice to know but out of my price range.

Old Tony, Do you work for Nissan or do you rear alot about Navara's?
I like you Ute and van set up.

Thanks Again

Steve

I don't work for Nissan, I just read a lot - although I've driven a 550 a few times and have had a few good looks over them. Issues like the turbocharger and the inferno* combustion engine are major points with the 550 owners I've talked to.

Way, way too much heat. If yesterday was an indication of what to expect this summer, I'm glad I don't have a 550.

* The mis-spelling of "internal" was quite deliberate.

Have a read through the "V6 has arrived" thread. Justdrinkbeer has noticed a massive amount of heat coming from his and I've heard of others with similar complaints. While it's not clear (yet), I think there were turbo issues related to that heat too - hence my conclusion that the top of the 'V' is a bad place for the turbocharger.

Rich has the advantage of being able to compare his V6 with the 2.5L 4cyl diesel D40 that he owned previously and his opinion is that the V6 runs a lot hotter.

Even if I had the inclination to buy a 550, I would wait for the next version, or the one after it, hopefully they replace the single centrally-mounted turbo with a pair of turbos mounted outside the 'V' and they change to thermal fans.

Not sure if it should be a cause for major concern though, they are designing alot of new cars to run hotter and leaner than ever before, its how they are getting these fantastic economy figures. I guess thats why nissan has put such a large intercooler into them standard, back in the day the thing would have been the envy of turbo rice rocket owners being so large... Seems like a turbo back exhaust may cool ease the temps a little then...

we live in S.A gets nice and hot over summer here.the old man has one of the first 550's and he is a bit of a complainer...i have his old 09 d40 king cab.he tows his van everywhere and noticed excessive heat ....yet.as its still november...he has complained about the auto and i have experienced this to,it seems to hold a high gear for ages almost to the point where you have to nail it to get it to kick back cos it labouring too much

Like Tony said, i'm noticing it is very hot, running around town with the fan howling away all the time on a hot day.
Thinking about some sort of vents on the bonnet to get the heat out, but its black & shiny anyway, vents would just make me look even more like a dickhead!
Temp gauge on dash never gets too high though

we live in S.A gets nice and hot over summer here.the old man has one of the first 550's and he is a bit of a complainer...i have his old 09 d40 king cab.he tows his van everywhere and noticed excessive heat ....yet.as its still november...he has complained about the auto and i have experienced this to,it seems to hold a high gear for ages almost to the point where you have to nail it to get it to kick back cos it labouring too much

Yeah the gearbox is terrible, holds onto a gear to the point where you think its going to stall then takes off like a rocket, bad combo of turbo lag & lazy gearbox.

Looking into doing something about it though. :rock:

Latest posts

Back