Zoid's D22 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidbergmerc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm from Tassie, I'm new to the whole 4x4ing and diesel motor scene but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

I recently bought my self a 2002 Nissan Navara. 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Picked it up so I'd have something to tow my racecar with :) but after some peer pressure, I've also been enjoying taking it bush a little. Nothing too extreme.

314725_10150317130765658_520595657_8553829_686378985_n.jpg

Things that came on it were:

JVC headunit
CB Radio
Window Tint
Tub liner.
Tarp.
Pair of Spotties, I took them off because the were rusty though.

Things I've done to it:
Rockford Fosgate 6" splits.
new speaker wire
R33 Nissan Skyline Leather Steering wheel. Because I had it lying around and the old rubber one was starting to get a bit worn and perished.
Car kit for my phone.

Things I need:
Catch Can. (bit of gunk in there)
Intercooler. (I've got a stock R33 skyline Side mount intercooler here that I was going to use, any thoughts on that?)
EGR and butterfly mod? (read positive things about it)
New dump pipe\exhaust, fkn stock one looks shocking.
CUP HOLDERS!!! Does anyone have a solution to this?! I've seen ones that take up a Din under the head unit but I've got a CB radio there...
Any other mods people can suggest?

It's having that problem where it'll miss in 3rd and 4th which I've read on here that it's just the neutral switch? So I'll try out the suggested diagnosis procedure for that and see how that goes. I've got the receipts from the previous owners services and he's has fuel filters changed, injectors checked and glow plugs changed. I'm assuming he was chasing the same gremlin.

Tows really well though; a lot better than my old Mazda Bravo. I've read that towing in 5th is a no no for navaras? I've been avoiding it naturally anyway because the bravo was the same. The missing in 4th can get a little annoying when towing though.

So that's my story, looks like there is a good little community here and I look forward to becoming a part of it.

Dylan_Oswin_blog_Adams11.jpg

Welcome mate.

Nice 22, towing is 5th is fine. Keep it in 5th on the flats and drop back to 4th on the hills, Ford Couriers and Mazda Bravo gearboxes are piss weak, early Ranger's and BT50's had gearbox troubles as Mazda didn't upgrade all of the gearboxes and the gearbox couldn't handle the torque.

Seen several Telstra Ford Rangers have gearboxes replaced for that reason. Mazda strengthened the gearboxes to handle the torque.

Have you got a centre console ? STR's have cup holders.

Got a turbo timer ?

Thats a nice little mud puddle you got stuck in there.

As for the missing, im not sure it would be neutral switch related as the common symptom there would be over revving/surging low in the rev range as the car trys to bring the revs to 1100ish rpm to heat the motor from cold.

Is the miss there all the time or is it very intermittent?
Only at full throttle/only with the racecar in tow?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope someone here can help you out

The problem is there all the time, less apparent when towing. But yeah it's not really missing, it is surging, I just thought it was missing because, well they feel rather similar.

So yeah, driving home today 4th gear up a hill and it starts surging, pull the gear level as far away from neutral as I can and the power comes back! take it off, it goes away. Same deal in 3rd, just not as bad. so yeah 10\10 convinced that's what the problem is, just need to figgure out how to fix it.

Mine is a DX and yeah it's got cup holders in the center console but they're useless, 1) they can't hold an Iced Coffee and 2) if I've got a can or bottle in there I've go nowhere to put my arm. 3) Even if there is only cans in there I still can't close the lid... USELESS! WHY THE FUCK TO I HAVE TWO ASH TRAYS AND NO DECENT CUP HOLDERS! hahaha.

What'd you guys think of my mod wishlist? all things I should be considering?

I get around 800kms from a tank a diesel too. Is that about right for a Navara? I'm just happier it's better than my WRX, saving so much coin on fuel now!

What oil do you guys put in your Navaras? I haven't done an oil change my self on it yet, just got someone else to do it last time.

Delo 400 is all I use oil wise.

800km's to a tank, standard tank ?

Assume so? 75 Liter. costs like $98 to fill up from the fuel light.

I drive mostly on country road like a grandpa though.

I've got a problem with it now, the ride has just gone to shit over the last 3 days. Feels like my tyres are made out of wood! I had a quick squiz at all the bushes and bits under the front end put can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

Last edited:
Pretty good economy.

Pull the shocks out and see how they are.

Factory shocks are shit.

Bloody great mud hole mate.I wish I could get that ecomomy.A set of sliders to protect your sills and doors is one for the wish list. steel bar and winch,recovery gear for a start and welcome to the forum.

Just had a look at the shocks, they look aftermarket, they say "off road gear maxi Trac X" on them.

I might take them out to inspect them on the weekend, see how I go for time, Got to make the WRX pretty for it's new potential owner :D And get the ol Datsun ready for Raceday.

Last edited:
Check all the bushes out and shocks and see if you can find any issues.

Seems wiered that the right went to shit all of a sudden.

it over the course of a week it just went bad. The road I drive on every day to work isn't the best, gravel, pot holes, almost jumps, there is one dip part in the road where if you hit it at 90 it'll hit the bump stops, only on the navara though, patrol loves it and WRX loved it too.

It feels like the fist 20% of the compression stroke isn't doing anything. It's really starting to rattle the car now, lots of interior bits are getting kind of noisy. It's really harsh on the small fast bumps and soft and flubbery over big bumps and corners.

How much difference did the intercooler make on your bus dave? What cooler did you get?

Last edited:
I have a ASE kit on my Nav.

That was the only one available at the time.

Id be getting a Northside kit these days or doing the custom one's like in the intercooler threads.

Ill get the links.

I'm thinking just a R34 skyline Sidemount intercooler will do the job, I've got some piping let over from upgrading the piping on my racecar so I'll use that with some new silicon joiners to make it fit, I'll post pics if I ever get around to doing it :p

It's been a while sense I've been on here!

Just been reading everyones threads and admiring all the really tidy D22s :)

Here is a pic of my two nissans together.
_1010013Mediumcut-1.jpg

I've also been doing a lot more towing recently too because my partners Patrol shat a gearbox AGAIN, (4.2L Petrol Auto GQ Patrol if anyone knows of any gearboxes) So I have to tow all her horses around.

Are there any dos and don'ts for towing with the D22? I've just been staying at 80-85 and keeping it in 4th.

Oh I replaced the door hinges in it too but the ****er stills hangs down an inch too low, even when adjusting it I put a little strip on the sil to prop it up a little to make it close on the latch perfectly. Raaaaaaage. Any hints on getting this adjusted correctly?

I also got some new Tyres, Kumho KL78s. Really liking them so far. Took them up to st. Helens to do some official work for the Historic Rally out there, was a good weekend away, got to drive on all the Special Stages at speed (well, as fast at a D22 can go really.)

20120923_093353.jpg

Looking for new brake pads now, all the extra towing has worn them down rather rapidly.

Does anyone know where to get some Sunnie wheels cheap? I want some new ones in black, I was thinking of getting mine powder coated but they're a little rusty on the inside :/ Or even a whole saler? I've started a tyre dealing business so I've got an ABN now, selling Kumho, Federal, starfire and General. Also selling Allied wheels. If you're in Tassie and want something, flick me an e-mail [email protected], mention you're from here and I'll hook you up :)

Hey all,

I've got a bit of a problem with my Nav. I've lurked around this forum heaps but haven't found anything substantial.

I'm getting the engine check light come on when I'm driving randomly, some times it's 5 seconds after starting, some times it's well into the journey while driving.

It saps like half the power when the engine light comes on too.

I had it at the mechanics and on their computer it said F7 P7070 - Injector Timing something. I've googled the shit out of that and get no love.

I've got the neutral switch disconnected because that was cooked and trolling me in 3rd and 4th, reconnected it for diagnostics sake and it didn't make a difference.

I change the fuel filter and that didn't help either, I gave the water level sensor a good clean too. The light will also come on even if the sensor is disconnected.

Apart from the engine light trolling me, it's been just as good as ever, I just used it on the weekend to pull out some stumps, fkn loved it.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to check I'd love to hear them.

Cheers in advance!

Latest posts

Back