80L fridge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm, looks alright. I was a bit concerned at the 3.5amp power draw, considering some of the other Danfoss compressor fridges pull an average of 2amps once cooled. I'll be keeping an eye on this one as paying over $1000.00 on a fridge to take camping is way out of our budget, especially when we need to replace the 23 year old fridge at home first, :sarcastic:

The OzExplorer initial review seemed favourable.

For an 80L fridge that's not too bad. The motor should last a while being brushless, but I'm concerned about the insulation. If that - and the seal around the lid - is okay then no problems at all. It will cool to 56C below ambient - so that's pretty much good for anywhere in Australia.

It's also cheaper than an Engel. I wonder how noisy the compressor is - would you want to keep some distance between it and your sleeping area? Let us know, Jim!

Several things I would note.

As ray says the 3.5amp draw might be a little high given that is says it's 3.5 continuous. My fridge (which is only 50L) draws about 2 amps during each cycle and our bench testing has shown us that at around 30 ambient in the old mans shed the fridge will average about 3 cycles per hour once cooled. So 6A per hour is a lot different to 3.5A continuous. Not sure if that's just bad wording but to me it reads it's a constant drain not a drain per cycle.

The max operating temp could be a worth consideration if you plan on a lot of hot trips. I have no idea what mine is capable of anymore but I know mine has kept beer frosty cold in 45 degree ambient heat, but I also know that on that day the heat inside the canopy would been somewhat over 45, so canopy heat might be a consideration given that 56 below ambient could possibly still be 5 degrees in the canopy which is not good for long term milk storage or if you plan to use it as a freezer in such conditions.

The brushless motor might well last longer (but really that's just like saying a Commodore will last longer than a Ford when we all know anything manufactured could have problems), but will you be able to get parts for it or any other part of the fridge if they fail. Going with mainstream brands might well be beneficial if you're on a long trip and something goes wrong.

For me I wouldn't buy it, but that's not to say it wont work, I'd just prefer to by something tried and tested and something my mind would atleast pretend would be easily fixed if there was any problems.

For me I wouldn't buy it, but that's not to say it wont work, I'd just prefer to by something tried and tested and something my mind would atleast pretend would be easily fixed if there was any problems.

it has 1 year warranty.

then we get to the age old argument.....

Warn v all the other noname winches..

GW v yota, nissan, mazda......

someone gots to be a pioneer.

You're right and I don't have a problem with being that pioneer in many cases but I wouldn't do it in this case, more so due to the figures of current draw than anything else. But then if I've read those current figures wrong and the word continuous is not meant in the context I took it them I'm happy to stand corrected.

if that current draw is a downer to you, each to their own reason,
it prolly wouldnt worry me at this stage as long as the fridge worked right and for the price some difference must be expected, though I put it up on here to get everyones opinions good or bad.

according to the supposed review,

With the ambient temperature @ 24c and the inside temp @ 25c on start up.

1) I set the temp. setting on the display to -13c - current drain 3.8amps
After 23 mins it was @ 5c - current drain 3.75amps
After 27 mins it was @ -1c - current drain 3.65amps
After 40 mins it was @ -13 - current drain 2.95amps

2) I then let it warm up to -4c and set the temp. to -4c to measure the duty
cycle of the compressor.
At the above ambient temp. the compressor was on for 8.5 mins and off
for 25mins. * These are averages. That is about a 35% motor on time.
3) With the fridge holding -4c @ 25c amb. Its average current drain is
3.5Amps. as stated.
Which averages @ 21mins every hour and 8.4hrs a day, compressor run
time. Thats about 29Amps/hour a day for operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that suggesting 29 Amps per hour?

I must be reading something wrong, sounds like Chinese English to me which makes me wonder about their QLD location.

Also take into account that review seems to be suggesting that the current draw is during the cool down phase, which is obviously going to be high especially if you want the thing to get to -13.

I would suggest most people would do that stage on 240V anyway and therefore cool down current drain wouldn't be an issue, but to me it still comes back to the 3.5Amp continuous and what they actually mean by that.

I think it means that the fridge, set at -4c will draw down 29 Ah from your battery per 24 hour period to maintain -4c, with an ambient temp of 25c.

So from my 100Ah gel, I'd safely get 2 days.

My understanding of that "3.5amp" rating is that, while there are variances in running current draw, when the compressor does run, it will only draw on average 3.5amp.

Given they have sold similar for $550 and with the $104 and 8 day delivery fee to get it to my place I'd be considering the worth especially if I had to send it back for repairs.

I think it means that the fridge, set at -4c will draw down 29 Ah from your battery per 24 hour period to maintain -4c, with an ambient temp of 25c.

You don't use 29 amp hours per 24 hours, 29 amp hours is exactly that 29 amp per hour.

This is why I suggest their maths doesn't work, if it's 29 amps over 24 hours that's just over 1amp hour which makes it a bloody efficient fridge.

However 3.5 amp per hour over the 8.4 hour day they suggest is close to 29 amps per day, but who works on an 8.4 hour day?

Like I've said i could be reading it wrong but that's my take on it and for the extra it makes Ironman fridges a very viable alternative.

I'm going with joshman....

8.4 is the hours per day compressor run time for that temp setting and a total usage per 24 hour period of 29Ahrs.

I have seen those Ironman fridges advertised in one of the 4by mags, and the pricing looked excellent compared to Waeco etc. Very low current draw as well, they do look good. They only go to 50ltr I think, which would not be enough for us, 60 ltr min is what we need. The poor old 80ltr Evakool esky is always packed tight when we go away, (ice/food/drinks etc)

Atleast the greys online ad is written in better english.

But it still quotes Amps and not Amp Hours and we all should know that the two can be very different.

I think the review could have been written better, but as I read it, it says that at the chosen temperature, it drew 3.5A for 8.5 minutes then went idle for 25 minutes, meaning over a 24 hour period it would cycle 24*60/(25+8.5)= 42.98 times (say 43 times). 43*3.5*8.5/60 = 21Ah. You could also say that it's running for 43*8.5/60 = 6 hours a day = about a 25% duty cycle. Just to verify my figures, 6 * 3.5A = 21A.

Their maths sucks, unless they're missing things.

There will be a small amount of current used in the 25 minutes per cycle when it's not running the compressor - it has to consume some power while it is measuring the temperature and deciding whether or not to start the compressor. It isn't going to be a lot of power. My Engel is lucky to draw 0.1A during this stage. My Waeco 140L draws similar (about 0.1A) during idle but I've seen it draw up to 7.5A and averages 5.5A.

For this fridge, if you said 25Ah for a day's operation you'd have to be reasonably happy. My Engel uses 1.5A and if you say a 50% duty cycle (double the amount of compressor "on" time) it's going to draw 12*1.5 = 18A per day. That's what I paid nearly $1800 for.

According to the greys website the power consumption is 50 Watt, therefore to run at 3.5 Amps the battery would have to be putting out 14.2 V, or under charge, with the engine off or at very worst getting towards the 10.8 cut off that current draw goes up.

Of course it's the same for all appliances but it shows their figures really are ideal situation figures because there wouldn't be many of us willing to run engines over night just to keep the current draw of our fridges at their ideal level. It doesn't make them liars or misleading but it does mean that some people could end up with flat batteries and a warm fridge if they don't take everything into account.

Overall the maki compressors don't get bad reviews, nothing really glowing but nothing really bad either, unlike Danfoss that usually get glowing references. the current draw is a bit airy fairy and some using the same fridge with a different brand name (from the same supplier) claim up to 6.6amps but all fridges will do that for atleast a small time. There is also some reports that they use an older style refrigerant, I am not up on that stuff so I can't be certain of that but the same people seem to think the older stuff is more likely to not need replacing than the new stuff.

Price is definitely inviting but apparently BCF have been known to also sell these fridges for a similar cost with a different brand name so this mob isn't the only one doing it, but they might be the only ones charging $100 to deliver to Vic.

Thats about 29Amps/hour a day for operation.

I think you mean AmpHours and not Amps per Hour(no such beast).

If the power consumption figures are correct, then it sounds reasonable to me.

There are few funnies IMO;

1) The RRP of $2,300 <- tell them they are dreaming,

2) The clips look a little cheap to me; i.e. they look too much like some cheap clips I've seen on other cheap and nasty stuff.

3) The Ozexplorer review isn't really a review in my opinion. more like viral marketing by someone seeking to pump the product(same guy, other forums)

4) This -> "The voltage protection cut-off is at 9V... Cool, your battery is dead beyond repair at around 10.8V, so what purpose does that serve?".

5) The average power consumption funnily exactly matches the power consumption of the equivalent Engel.

6) The courier fees seem very expensive to me and WTF are the freight problems mentioned. You wouldn't use a company that gives you problems in getting your stuff to customers.

7) It "cools/freezes and HEATS" WTF? The only similar stuff are Pietler Devices which are horrible and grossly inefficient and do not achieve 56 deg cooling.

8) This "(still cycles between 5 and -1 and back in about 2 hour cycles) - temp in the house is 29". Mentions "set at 4". I wonder what I would have to set it to to get no freezing.

9) "has a Japanese DESIGNED Maki compressor unit". Note "designed" and not BUILT. Another black mark IMO.

10) For me, it would be $570 + $80 courier for $650 total and only 1 year warranty Vs something like the Evakool 95 litre for $1,370+ courier for a 5 years warranty and I would tend more to the later.

Anyway, just my quick web search impressions.

You don't use 29 amp hours per 24 hours, 29 amp hours is exactly that 29 amp per hour.

Err, Krafty, you'd better knock off the prune juice. It is the other way around.

"29 amp per hour" is bullshit and meaningless.

29 amphours is a quantity. It could be 2.9 amps for 10 hours or 29 amps for 1 hour or 1.208 Amps for 24 hours.

Amps are a measure of the electron flow, i.e the RATE at which current is flowing.

Latest posts

Back