Auto to Manual conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatty

Reaction score
Ran a search but couldn't really find much info for the d21/td27.

So I'm quite tired of a gutless auto box, what's the go with swapping to the manual and if there is a right up somewhere?
Being for the Terrano/Pathfinder, can I use d21 gear?

That's what I thought. Can I use a vg30 one as well?

What about transfer case? No hassles?

That's what I thought. Can I use a vg30 one as well?

No, it's different. Different bellhousing and different output shaft spline count.

What about transfer case? No hassles?

It's slightly different, the automatic one doesn't have a little oil gutter under the input shaft but that isn't an issue, plenty of US guys have done the same swap you're doing with the auto xfer case.

Before you get too carried away mate, there was a thread on another 4WD forum, where someone claimed that his auto was quicker and better on the fuel than his nephew's manual. It was for a terrano, which has the td27t. Have a look. Might depend on what you're planing on doing with it.

Login | Australian 4WD Action

Before you get too carried away mate, there was a thread on another 4WD forum, where someone claimed that his auto was quicker and better on the fuel than his nephew's manual. It was for a terrano, which has the td27t. Have a look. Might depend on what you're planing on doing with it.

Login | Australian 4WD Action
The auto is not quick. Once it hits around 4ish g revs, it's slow to accelerate further up from that. Plus I enjoy manual much, much more when I go off roads. I would of thought that like most manuals, it's better on fuel, and if you move your hands and feet quick enough you could wipe any auto box with a manual, as expected?

There is some serious panel damage on the rear of my 4b on the right hand quarter. My original plan was to fix it, but finding a terrano wreck is like a needle in a haystack. So I'm considering doing a rear half cut with a customed rear fire wall and a flat bed. I'd be light on the rear and quicker. But I doubt it's worth my money :)

If you're anywhere near NQ I've got a Terrano wreck sitting in the shed at the moment, partially disassembled.

The auto is not quick. Once it hits around 4ish g revs, it's slow to accelerate further up from that. Plus I enjoy manual much, much more when I go off roads. I would of thought that like most manuals, it's better on fuel, and if you move your hands and feet quick enough you could wipe any auto box with a manual, as expected?

You mean when the engine is at 4000rpm, it's slow to accelerate beyond that? 4000rpm is the redline?

Sometimes offroad I wish I had an automatic.

Better on fuel, for sure. You could probably beat an auto with a manual, but don't you own the wrong car to be worried about how quick you are?

There is some serious panel damage on the rear of my 4b on the right hand quarter. My original plan was to fix it, but finding a terrano wreck is like a needle in a haystack.

I've sent two good Terrano shells to the scrap merchant and I don't even own a Terrano. One of them was a partial wreck I bought off eBay for a dollar.

So I'm considering doing a rear half cut with a customed rear fire wall and a flat bed. I'd be light on the rear and quicker. But I doubt it's worth my money :)

Wouldn't that make it a SWB dual cab Navara?

You mean when the engine is at 4000rpm, it's slow to accelerate beyond that? 4000rpm is the redline?

Sometimes offroad I wish I had an automatic.
Red line I think starts at 5. It's that bandwidth of the 1000 revs that you want the car to put out that it simply won't perform at all. Not with the gear ratio it has. 1st and 2nd are not tooooo bad, but the 3rd and 4th are really a draw back when you want it.

I get a bit sick of the automatic off road. It makes it a bit too easy. We can swap???

Better on fuel, for sure. You could probably beat an auto with a manual, but don't you own the wrong car to be worried about how quick you are?
I don't except to smash skylines at the lights. But on uphill climbs I really want actually keep up with others in the convoy. It's almost embarrassing that I hold up the rear half because I can't move to quick up tracks. I'm talking the gravels here.

I've sent two good Terrano shells to the scrap merchant and I don't even own a Terrano. One of them was a partial wreck I bought off eBay for a dollar.
Tell me where and I will go. I can find 2 door wrecks easy enough, but the 4 doors are a bit hard.

Wouldn't that make it a SWB dual cab Navara?
Hush! It would be a Navara!

Tatty, we have a 1992 terrano and a 1994 navara in the family. The terrano is auto and i can tell you it is quicker than the navara hands down. You might the auto needs a rebuild if it is gutless.

Also had the navara box rebuilt last year at a cost of $850 which was cheap due to us already replacing bearing etc several times before saying stuff this and dropping it off at a auto shop lol.

Red line I think starts at 5. It's that bandwidth of the 1000 revs that you want the car to put out that it simply won't perform at all. Not with the gear ratio it has. 1st and 2nd are not tooooo bad, but the 3rd and 4th are really a draw back when you want it.

4,300 is where the red marks start on mine, and 4,500 is solid red. My QD32 - same engine but bigger, non-turbo, better intake - seems totally gutless beyond about 3,800.

I get a bit sick of the automatic off road. It makes it a bit too easy. We can swap???

We are incompatible - QD32 runs a bigger trans.

I don't except to smash skylines at the lights. But on uphill climbs I really want actually keep up with others in the convoy. It's almost embarrassing that I hold up the rear half because I can't move to quick up tracks. I'm talking the gravels here.

Sounds like something isn't working right in your engine or trans.

Tell me where and I will go. I can find 2 door wrecks easy enough, but the 4 doors are a bit hard.

What state do you live in? The one I got for $0.99 was a four door in white.

Tatty, we have a 1992 terrano and a 1994 navara in the family. The terrano is auto and i can tell you it is quicker than the navara hands down. You might the auto needs a rebuild if it is gutless.
4 door or 2 door Terrano? There is nothing wrong with the autobox, it's as good as the day it was new (if I owned it new).

Also had the navara box rebuilt last year at a cost of $850 which was cheap due to us already replacing bearing etc several times before saying stuff this and dropping it off at a auto shop lol.
4,300 is where the red marks start on mine, and 4,500 is solid red. My QD32 - same engine but bigger, non-turbo, better intake - seems totally gutless beyond about 3,800.
I had a look at it today on the way to work. Between about 3 and 4 it just doesn't rev up. I presume, though, it's because it's a diesel and it simply just can't rev that high.

We are incompatible - QD32 runs a bigger trans.
I meant just swap cars... mull it over and get back to me :sarcastic:

Sounds like something isn't working right in your engine or trans.
The engine is wrong somewhere. I just don't know where.

What state do you live in? The one I got for $0.99 was a four door in white.
I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. My locals which are Imlacs, Pick-A-Part and Centre Rd don't have anything.

I had a look at it today on the way to work. Between about 3 and 4 it just doesn't rev up. I presume, though, it's because it's a diesel and it simply just can't rev that high.

Even TD42Ti's do that, its the just the ancient indirect injection, limited adjustability of timing, 2 valve head design that limit it.

Drive a D40 and see how they are happy to rev all day.

Common rail technology, better head design and the computer can adjust the timing heaps more then any indirect injected mechanical injected diesel can.

So basically, the engine is a POS.

You have seen anything on Gumtree/eBay?

So basically, the engine is a POS.

Depends on what you want it for. It's an old engine, in an old car. It's not going to compete with a modern diesel engine by any means.

Having said that, there's still a lot of old diesels out there chugging away with happy owners.

Do a compression test and get the state of the engine.

Another relatively simple thing to look at is the EGR. Is it still there? If it is, get rid of it, and clean out the intake manifold. If its all clogged up, you can sometimes find that the EGR valve gets stuck open, which will kill bottom end power. The black gunk can also restrict air flow, which will steal power as well.

It's a bit of a bugger getting to it all at the back of the block, but easier than changing gearboxes.

Latest posts

Back