OzTent RV3-5

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
so i have a friend who has a RV3 i think and takes him less then 30seconds to set up. which is what they site says it takes them to completely set it up. now if i could get my tent up in 30seconds i would probably get out more for camps etc.

what im asking is, has anyone got a Oztent RV3 or 4 or 5 series tent and what are they like. are they worth the overdone price tag or am i better keeping my BCF special tent that takes me 20+mins to get up. it is just the wife and i for now but once the thought of kids come into it we are gonna need to stick a cot in the tent aswell. so do i need to go the RV5? and put up with having heaps of room until the child arrives (few years down the track)?

i found a place thats doing the RV5 with Oztent Fly+connector awning+Foxwing Awning all for $1899+$30delivery. so once the foxwing awning is out the RV5 tent can be zipped/connected onto the foxwing awning.

i have emailed the company asking about the foxwing and seeing if they will take it out of the price and add in a few extras and seeing whther there is a straight pull out awning off the car that also zips/connects to it rather then the foxwing as it wont go the full way around with the canopy in the way.

any ideas would be great?

Rusty

I put up a mates oztent for him and yup easy as.

He had the front awning and like an outside cover (dunno what it's called) to help reduce condensation. He goes up the high country with it and loves it.

I put up a mates oztent for him and yup easy as.

He had the front awning and like an outside cover (dunno what it's called) to help reduce condensation. He goes up the high country with it and loves it.

yeh mate thats the Fly cover thing. i would be getting that in the deal. i was hoping they would have maybe a pull out awning not a foxwing that i could connect it to i prob would just get it then.

Rusty

A 20-minute setup isn't TOO bad if that's all it takes from arrival to coffee time. It competes well with some fold-out camper trailers!

It might be worth waiting for the new bub to come first before looking to change. For perhaps 12 months you won't go anywhere - so you have the luxury of waiting to see if something else (eg camper trailer, roof tent) might appeal to you. It also means you don't have $1800+ of tent sitting in the garage collecting dust while bubs grows enough to take out.

gday mate,

I bought the RV4 earlier this year (upgraded from a 2-3 man dome tent). Once the overall bag is on the ground, it would be very close to being 30 seconds to put up. The minimum set up required is 4 pegs in the corners. Found out the hard way what happens when you don't put them in and a gust of wind catches it! It actually broke alot of the internal frame, but the oztent customer service is so great, they sent me the new parts free of charge. From there, you can then roll out the front awning, side walls, front wall, ground sheet, the list goes on. What I like about it is its flexibility, you can have the minimal set up for a late night camp or set up like the taj mahal for a couple of days. Yes, they do seem expensive, but they are quality, flexible, fast, good customer service, you can stand up in it, modular (you can attach other tents, awnings etc to it).

Probably the only thing that could be better is the mass. I have my side walls, pegs, front wall etc all in the same bag and it is on the borderline of being to heavy for one person to manage. I suspect the RV5 would be a touch worse.

You will need a roof rack. Mine is supported by the frame in the canapy and spans over the cabin a bit, seems to work well.

Overall, I am very impressed and would highly recomend it as the intermediate sollution between a small tent / swag and perhaps a camper trailer, i.e. my reasoning to buy it was need something bigger, don't want to tow anything = oztent.

I reckon the price you got looks pretty decent.

Anything else let me know

Cheers

Yep - same as everyone else - we have a RV4 - great tent - the basic tent can be setup in 30 seconds - probably about 5 minutes if you need to put on the front fly and peg it down. We have the rhino rack basket which was made specifically for the oztent - I fitted a pull out fly onto the side of it so made good use of it's length. With the right technique a single person can get the tent into the basket.

Love that you can stand up in the oztent - plenty of room (for the wife & 3 kids) - it's all we will use from now on - to that end I'm selling my camper trailer (you can see it in the for sale section)

RV4.jpg

Hmmm plenty of good feedback so far. Thanks Lep for the info on the Jet Tents. I think I'm gonna have to go see both tents setup somewhere. I think the RV5 with a side pullout awning off the car may do the job. But if you can fit 2adults and 3 kids in a RV4 then maybe I could go down a model. Hmmm Tony I'm not to fussed about a tent laying idle for 6-12months cause of the newborn thing atleast its for a reason. I said 20mins but that's just the tent, add the gazebo and cooking gear it takes forever. I'll keep watching this thread closely cause I like this info.

Rusty

Rusty,
I'll be listing my RV-5 and extras shortly never been used, bought just before I had my working trip to South Africa and now SWMBO wants a camper trailer or caravan seeing I made so much money over there (not)

hey rusty, ive had a rv 5 for over a year now and its a great tent only thing ive had go wrong was i tied it down to my sports bar with a rachit (stupiodly) and i snaped all frame on one side and put 3 holes threw it. my own fault but other than that its been a great tent cant fault it.

there a good tent, only thing with the rv5 is the frame is the same as rv 4 and you have to peg the little extra bit out the back where the frame doesn't support it.
hope that makes sense. Ive only ever had to repair one and it was tied to the back of his wagon and he drove off full of piss and towed it down the road ahaha. was still surprisingly in all right shape

Yeh mate. We love our oztent. Funny helping people setup there own tents then when it comes to ours it takes a minute to flip it up and puts a handful of pegs in

We have a Jet Tent (made by Oz Tent). Good tent, easy and quick setup and you can stand up in the centre of the tent. Like the Oz TEnt you can get the extra sidewalls for a cost. Only downside is the tent bag is quite bulky and we have to carry on the roof racks which can be a hassle loading it by yourself. Oz Tent seems to pack up a bit better then the Jet TEnt.

i sold my rv4 last week and miss it already
i would have kept it but the mrs refused to go to the cape in a tent
gunna try and put up the new camper trailer today
will def take more than 30 seconds
our oztent had the delux front room and it takes bout 20 min to completely set up
if they suit your situation you wont buy better quality

Back