Best Tyres for Sand and Beaches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stremd22

Reaction score
hey Guys.
The old cooper ST's have pretty much seen their last trip. looking at replacing them with something a little more aggresive looking like some MTZ's or BFG KM2's.. but after searching reviews and other forums most of the day everyone seems to think both this tyres will dig a hole to china in the sand? have any of you guys found this on the d22 nav? and can you suggest something better suited to sand, since this is 80% of the 4 wheel driving to be done down my way..

G'day Sam , mate got brand new KM2"s on mine , do quite a bit of beach driving for fishing , find the km2's fine in low range un deflated but you have to take it easy , sometimes let down to about 16psi and stay in high range depends on how far I go but saying that they are an aggressive pattern they will chew in easily if you want them to.

Last edited:
Used to run General Grabber AT's and they were good on sand. Have just put on a maxxis AT. Nice looking tyre good in the wet and from what mates have said great on sand but I haven't had a chance to test yet. Good price too.

I run the MICKEY T ATZ 4RIB and i rate them on and off the road. I have had them on Stockton Beach NSW and they performed really well at 20psi. I was going to go lower if needed but it never got to that.

Not that this means anything but according to 4x4 ACTION they performed the best on sand in there latest tyre comparo a few issues back.

G'day Sam , mate got brand new KM2"s on mine , do quite a bit of beach driving for fishing , find the km2's fine in low range un deflated but you have to take it easy , sometimes let down to about 16psi and stay in high range depends on how far I go but saying that they are an aggressive pattern they will chew in easily if you want them to.

How much did you pay for the km2's champ? only problem with them is that they cant get them here until late december.. joke really, how ever i am impatient lol.

My mtz's make beaches I used to cruise along a nightmare, I can see the sand flying through the air in my mirrors as i dig holes.

I run the MICKEY T ATZ 4RIB and i rate them on and off the road. I have had them on Stockton Beach NSW and they performed really well at 20psi. I was going to go lower if needed but it never got to that.

Not that this means anything but according to 4x4 ACTION they performed the best on sand in there latest tyre comparo a few issues back.

Yea the bloke in the tyre shop said to go these ones, in my MT booklet there is two types of the four ribs.. one with a rounded shoulder and the other is alot more squarer.. tread pattern is roughly the same. which one do you have?

Sam I paid $335 a tyre fitted 265 75 r16 , I also had to wait about 2 months for them but didn't bother me as my truck still wasn't rego'd after its long rebuild and its not my daily driver anyway

wow pretty good price i was quoted $380 without fitting, seems pretty steep to your deal.. Small towns charge what they like i guess..

Dont get me wrong, their great on mud but next time im going back to all terrain. Im in WA so lots of sand, might be different for you.

Sam I'm only in a small town , but the guys here are pretty honest and try and give you a good deal if they can.

na mate im on the west coast of south oz so mostly dunes and beaches, be pretty simular to west oz id imagine.. choices choices..

Sam if I didnt need a mud tyre I probably wouldnt have them even though lets be honest they look good but where I am the only time they really see sand is on the beach the rest of the time it a lot of mud and rocky dirt roads around here. If you where doing a lot more driving on sand I would probably get a tyre where I didn't have to be as careful , but don't let any one tell you there no good for sand because they are OK.

Last edited:
Sam have you asked about the mickey t stz? Very nice tread pattern and if you ask me they would go nicely on the sand. They may even be good enough for dirt/mud work but lil of it.

I've got a set of Maxxis Bighorns.... only been on the beach with them once.... they were rather terrible actually until i let down to around 12psi

I think If i know that I'm doing another beach trip I'll chuck my all terrains on for it.

Alrighty lads just ordered 4 MT ATZ 4 ribs today. couldnt comprehend getting the muddies when there is virtually no mud around here. getting fitted next week so will be letting ya's know how they go after next week end. put them to the test!!

Alrighty lads just ordered 4 MT ATZ 4 ribs today. couldnt comprehend getting the muddies when there is virtually no mud around here. getting fitted next week so will be letting ya's know how they go after next week end. put them to the test!!

I think you will be happy, just drop the pressure down to somewhere around 16-20psi and they will do the job nicely. I found that with a little weight in my ute that they bagged out enough at 20psi to get the job done, but if i was empty i would of went lower. You could take them down as low as 12psi to get out of trouble, but i would keep the speed down and be gentle on the wheel.
look forward to your review.
Nathan

Back