Aftermarket recovery points

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been looking at this site for a while and think it is great.
This will be my first post on any forum so here goes.....
I just thought there may be some D40 owners that would be interested in knowing there are now aftermarket recovery points designed specifically to fit the pre threaded chassis holes on the D40. They are manufactured by Outback Ideas in VICTORIA, email address: "[email protected]".
They have stated the points will break at about 13ton of force. Normal RRP should be $95 a pair. They are 10mm thick steel and will fit a 3.25T bow shackle and strap comfortably.
If you wish to purchase any you need to contact your local TJM store, who are the distributors for Outback Ideas recovery points. If you have looked in TJM stores before you would have seen other recovery points Outback ideas have made for other makes of vehicles. They also manufacture recovery hooks to be attached to the rear of the vehicle.
I am not a handy person and i have heard horror stories from other people's misfortune during 4x 4 recoveries. I wanted to make sure what i used as a recovery point was going to be safe for myself and the person on the other end of the strap.
I had no luck looking on the net or ringing a number of 4x4 stores for aftermarket recovery points or recovery hooks that suited the pre existing threaded holes in the chassis of the D40.
By chance i got into contact with John from Outback Ideas on the internet and after some discussions back and forth over email i am now a very happy man. John was excellent to deal with and more than accomodating with my questions and he was able to design and manufacture something suitable for the Nissan D40.
I believe i have purchased the first pair that were manufactured so once some orders come through i'm sure more will be made.
Here are some pictures of the recovery points and them fitted to my car.
I am in no way affiliated with TJM or Outback Ideas, just a very happy customer.

Outback Ideas hook.jpg

Recovery Points 001.jpg

Recovery Points 003.jpg

They look pretty good, I installed hooks with the spring on my D22 just cause I prefer to not use shackles unless absolutely necessary, but for ease of fitting these look hard to beat.

Shonky, I have been thinking of putting some recovery points on my D22, any chance of a pic of your installation?

Did you bolt them onto the welded nuts on the bottom of the frame?

Thanks

Bought these from Supercheap, there is one factory hole there, and I had to drill the rear one and drop the spring washer and nut in to the chassis rail.

Left
d22recoveryhookleft.jpg

Right
d22recoveryhookright.jpg

Nice install shonky. I have one of those hooks, sitting in the tray as I have never got around to installing it yet.

Dave.

I just had a go at installing these on my d22 this afternoon but i have no idea of where to drop in the nuts into the chassis. I didn't want to start drilling till I knew where everything fit. I just don't see a place where I can get the nuts in.

If memory serves me correctly there is a hole on the outside of the chassis rail that is oval in shape about 1-2" back from where the rear bolt in the hook would be, requires a bit of finger yoga to get the nuts on the bolts.

Thanks for that... I will have a better look this afternoon. I took the front bash plate off and had a look around (noticed that I have 3 different bolts holding the plate on) and I didn't see anything that I could use to get the nuts in. The factory alloy bar seems to be bolted on around there too so some of the bolts holding that on could be in the way.

Thanks again.

Just resurrecting an old post here but there's some of the Outback ideas recovery points for D22's (and D40's) on eBay at the moment and I was wondering where they fit on a D22 ('05 STR). Do I need to drill holes or is there a provision for them already?
Thanks,
Dean

Just resurrecting an old post here but there's some of the Outback ideas recovery points for D22's (and D40's) on eBay at the moment and I was wondering where they fit on a D22 ('05 STR). Do I need to drill holes or is there a provision for them already?
Thanks,
Dean

I'm also interested in the answer to this for the D40

When i enquired about the D40 around a year ago i was told(t j m)that they will bolt up to the threaded tow hook holes both sides,but they can only be used with a bull bar fitted.The standard bumper is too low.

Ok,
There doesn't seem to be much on the net about the D22 OI items so I've bought a pair now and I'll report back (with photos) on how they fit.
Dean

Hi Leon, what is the hole centre distance on these fittngs. My STX has 90mm between bolt centres.

Cheers...Phill

Hey guys give Mannell Motors a call about rated recovery points. 02 9980 8855. They'll know what you're after.

Cheers Brad

D40 Recovery Points available in Perth

Hi, have just fitted a set of aftermarket rated recovery points to my series 4 STX. Fitted straight on no probs, just needed to buy some longer high tensile bolts (12mm x 1.25mm pitch x 50mm long) as the existing bolts too short due to the bullbar brackets. Bought these from Off Road Equipment in Myaree. $105 for the pair and they had them in stock. Now to work on replacing the alfoil splashguard under the front that you can see in the before & after pics.
Cheers....Phill

Attachments

• D40 R51 recovery points.jpg
    D40 R51 recovery points.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 236
  • D40 recovery point.jpg
    D40 recovery point.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 246
  • D40 tiedown.jpg
    D40 tiedown.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 305
  • D40 recovery point fitted.jpg
    D40 recovery point fitted.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 763
Thanks for the tip Phill. Just what I've been looking for locally.

Cheers

Phil

Edit: Just picked up a pair, they lood good, simple but very sturdy. I grabbed a load equalisation strap at the same time and it cost me $150 all up (I've got plenty of spare shackles knocking around). Now off to the bolt shop for 4 new bolts...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Phill. Just what I've been looking for locally.

Cheers

Phil

Edit: Just picked up a pair, they lood good, simple but very sturdy. I grabbed a load equalisation strap at the same time and it cost me $150 all up (I've got plenty of spare shackles knocking around). Now off to the bolt shop for 4 new bolts...

No probs, glad to be of help. I have been to a number of the 4x4 shops in the SOR area and have found ORE Myaree to be the most helpfull by far. Whenever I have been in they have given plenty of their time to discuss what I am after and they actually have the NAV accessories I am after in their range. Ya gotta love xmas shopping in a 4x4 shop. Hope the missus likes her bash plate:big_smile:

Latest posts

Back