New clutch fitted....what a big difference

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodogs

Reaction score
My original D40 V6 clutch started slipping at 90K so I fitted a solid flywheel heavy duty kit from NPC performance clutches at Boundary Road Archerfield Queensland. My ute is now sooooooo much better to drive, better take off's because of a lower pedal engagement and smoother, smoother gear engagements/changes and the NPC HD set up using the exeedy as a base eliminates any of the inherited gear chatter apparently caused by the installation of the solid flywheels. My clutch pedal had been a high engagement since I purchased the ute with 60K on it so I assumed that this was the norm as the clutch worked well but I was unhappy with the high pedal operation, especially at take off's and what felt like a notchy gear shifts/engagement. I had even mentioned the high pedal and notchy shift to Nissan when having a recall inspection carried out and they said everything was normal when they drove it, so this has me doubting how good the Nissan mechanics are because as mentioned the ute is a totally different animal to drive now, in fact it is a real pleasure, I may yet start loving this big piece of crap. All to do now is get some decent suspension under it to stop it floating.

Your right twodogs, it makes a big difference.

As for suspension, talk to Driveline Services at Archerfield, they did my lift and the price is very reasonable. (specs in the signature)

here's my story to date, It may help some out there ...
I was about to throw in a solid mass flywheel in the new year because of the clutch plate slip etc..... I had already been told by Nissan service dept that there's no adjustment on these clutch's ( having jumped under the car I found there was simply no slack between slave cylinder, withdrawal lever and thrust bearing/pressure plate)
now because I was getting the new clutch, the mechanic who's doing the job recommended replacing the slave cylinder as well.....

I thought to myself today "what the heck the slave's gonna be replaced anyways, I'll experiment

I ended up cutting off 5mm the slave cylinder pushrod (slave end not the withdrawal lever end) ... put it back together and went for a drive.... what a bloody difference. I wasn't even able to get the clutch to slip ....seems that bit of slack has made all the difference

I'll guess the big test will come over Xmas pulling the caravan

Navara D40 ST-X V6 by the way

here's my story to date, It may help some out there ...
I was about to throw in a solid mass flywheel in the new year because of the clutch plate slip etc..... I had already been told by Nissan service dept that there's no adjustment on these clutch's ( having jumped under the car I found there was simply no slack between slave cylinder, withdrawal lever and thrust bearing/pressure plate)
now because I was getting the new clutch, the mechanic who's doing the job recommended replacing the slave cylinder as well.....

I thought to myself today "what the heck the slave's gonna be replaced anyways, I'll experiment

I ended up cutting off 5mm the slave cylinder pushrod (slave end not the withdrawal lever end) ... put it back together and went for a drive.... what a bloody difference. I wasn't even able to get the clutch to slip ....seems that bit of slack has made all the difference

I'll guess the big test will come over Xmas pulling the caravan

Navara D40 ST-X V6 by the way

Well 1000 Km's later pulling a 2 tonne caravan and still no clutch slip......( I didn't go OFF Road but certainly hit spots up in the High Country where a problem clutch would struggle).... beginning to wonder if in fact it's a design stuff up and the dual mass is being blamed as the cause... I'm happy... I'm certainly not going to install a solid mass clutch setup for now

Is the Petrol the same clutch as the Diesel? (I am assuming you mean petrol V6 not a 550)

Hi Maddog.. Is the clutch still going ok.. as i think im up for the new clutch... just wondering if this is a long term fix... or porlonging the inevitable...

Hi Maddog.. Is the clutch still going ok.. as i think im up for the new clutch... just wondering if this is a long term fix... or porlonging the inevitable...

clutch is still going great .. not a single problem... what have you got to loose by trying??

Back