New wheel bearings... hot hubs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroach

Reaction score
G'Day all! Just a dip into the pond of knowledge before going back to my friendly 4wd shop for question time!

A week ago, I had them replace the front wheel bearings. A couple of times since, I've smelt hot metal after driving, and then found that the hubs have been extremely hot to touch. Now I'm sure I'm feeling/hearing some knocking with steering input - as was the case when I decided to get the bearings done!

I'm having to suspect that they've done something wrong here - wrong grease, wrong bearing, wrong tension or something - but would appreciate any thoughts you guys may have before I go back and put it on the workshop tomorrow to fix! Need it sorted by Wednesday, as did have plans to go beach fishing... D'ohhh! :)

Cheers,

Rog

They have probably done them up to tight. Get them to check the preload on them. Maybe jack up a side and see how it feels to spin. it should spin freely and yet have no movement or next to no movement on the vertical axis.

edit: since your talking to them if may want to ask them what grease they used but surely they wouldn't get that wrong. I'm not sure the grease would be a concern after a week anyway else they didn't put enough in there as far as heat production goes.

Last edited:
OK, great stuff guys! I haven't jacked her up for a feel yet - ran out of time! - but the really hot hubs, the smell, and now that sensation of some loose play going on, conjures up images of chewed out bearings etc... so I think I'll be having them take a look at/fix their fckup asap if things are that bad so soon! I'm really crapped off... on the phone first thing tomorrow!

Scooba, its a Series 1 D22 and this has been occurring with the hubs unlocked!

Cheers,

Rog

Back