EGT,s what are you getting?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickstar

Reaction score
Been a while since this subject was raised.More d40 owners have EGT gauges now.I have mine fitted post turbo and hit 705c up a 2 k climb @ 80klm/h fully loaded + boat. Turned of the chip and dropped by 10c to 695c.I was concerned that trip till someone said thats ok but don,t go over 800c. Driving at 110k,s no load I see 380c to 400c.So what is everyone seeing on their gauge?What are the stock temps?

Mine range between 370 - 420 with normal driving. On the open roads it can go to 470ish. Pulling my camper on the open road around 520 - 570 (depending on head winds).

treating it badly highest I got was 550, no weight, 140km/h up the big hill outside wollongong (mt ousley?) will prob get into the 600's no worries with weight on board, these V6 diesels run pretty hot

I did the pre-chip install run up a steep hill at WOT and got consistant readings of 760 degrees. I wasn't confident in setting the alarm at 10% over this figure post chip install so just set it at 760. I'm running tune 8 with a ChipIt chip and haven't done the fuel rail mod yet so this is the highest tune I can go at the moment. Regularly see 650-700 especially on hot days under heavy acceleration.

Banks Power | Why EGT is Important

So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you're usually gambling against a stacked deck and it's only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be.

1300f is 704c, 1400f is 760c

consider yourself lucky Racketsports and Rickstar.

sensors should be place BEFOR the turbo to get a true egt reading

Brendan, Racketsports has run this temp on a stock setup I understand.
Question is pre or post turbo.Some of the comments I have read claim up too 150 deg c loss across the turbo.If Racketsports achieved 760 deg c post turbo then he must have 910 deg c pre.This is close to a meltdown.
I hit 705 deg c post turbo and turned chip of and temp dropped to 695 deg c so my pre temp could have been 845 deg c and still to hot?

So what is the D40 straight out of the showroom pre or post turbo egt?

I have personally witnessed just over 825c pre turbo on a stock D40 (egt probe fitted to the collector). Other forum members have found very similar numbers.

Post turbo, 700-750c has been reported on this forum.

It seems fairly reasonable to assume pre turbo readings peak between 800-850c, post turbo between 700-750c, on stock applications.

I've added an alarm at 800c on my (modded) setup.

normal hyway driving for mine is between 350 and 450 and when i tow my tandem with 2 tonn of wood it sits between 450 and 620 if it reaches 650 i take my foot off the pedal or change down a cog bearing in mine i'm running 33's aswell cheers.

In normal driving, even at highway speeds and overtaking, my pre turbo EGTs will not go past 480C/900F or so. Under full throttle, my pre turbo max is kept at 775C with water injection.

My EGT sensor is fitted pre-turbo and I regularly see 700+ C under heavy acceleration or load. Once hit 800+C momentarily then the chip reverted to standard tune, this threw up an engine fault light and I feared that I had done some damage, but all seems fine touch wood. I'm now looking at fitting a larger intercooler and mandrel bent solid boost pipe. Would also like to source a cold air intake if anyone knows of a location/site then sells them?

Last edited:
Except for the K&N Apollo intake which still uses the stock intake position, there isn't a true CAI available, that I know of.

Mine runs about 1200 to 1400 degrees on both engines pulling 5 trailers.. Is this just a nav thread? :D

Attachments

• image-3940833241.jpg
    image-3940833241.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 88
Just put my egt gauge in post turbo hooked the trailer up with about a ton of wood in it went for a drive about 40mins went up a fair mount twice highest mine got was 330 does this sound right.

Mine runs about 1200 to 1400 degrees on both engines pulling 5 trailers.. Is this just a nav thread? :D

Hmmm. Degrees farenheit maybe.

Worked in many a ships engine room with horsepower and load rateings that would make the road trains pail into insignificance. A diesel engine is a diesel engine. Diesels run cool by comparison.

If you really want to see the high EGT's check out the latest Automotive petrol engines. The EGT's are insane, under heavy loads the cat converters are getting up to 1000 Degs. C

longy509 330dec c does not sound right.Unless you were going down hill with foot off the pedal.
330c I would be around 80 kph on a flat road,no load with converter locked up.Prob. should read somewhere around 500c
Rick

Latest posts

Back