RTA and reducing the length of overtaking lanes.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

As of late I have noticed that the RTA are making the overtaking taking lanes shorter and are making section's of road which are safe to overtake double lines.

How many times have I been sitting 20km/h under the speed limit and cracking the shits, overtaking lane comes up and I am out of there.

Now there are less time to overtake, does that mean people are gonna take more risk's ?

Ie, taking risks in section's they can overtake ? As in broken lines.

I wish I knew how these idiots think at times and there logic.

Dave.

try overtaking in those lanes with a semi or b-double. then you know just how short they really are :-((

got any pics?

we have had similar things here but for different reasons. they used to have one killer of an overtaking lane merge right at the start of one tight corner. so of course you end up with a heap of people racing up the passing lane then hard on the brakes into the turn. more often than not you had 3 cars wide going around a tight blind corner. a few deaths later and they move they end the lane well before the corner.
still get dumb buggers trying to overtake after the end of the passing lane.

another one is similar, ends on the gentle corner and your forever getting retarded drivers pushing past after the end head on into oncoming traffic. numerous deaths on that stretch of road. so much so they don't allow the white crosses on the side of the road anymore. if people saw how many people died there they might drive better. but then again it would scare half the tourists away.

some of the roads here have been changed fromm 100km/h down to 80km/h simply because people continue to crash. some of the barriers get new dents every week.

at the end of the day they will just limit the roads to walking speed untill people behave.

and have you also noticed Dave that most new overtaking lanes have been (where possible) put on a up hill especially up the new england? so not only are they getting shorter but uphill too. not best combo for a turbo diesel worse still when your towing, and it frusrates shit out of me that even when you can see for km's in front its DOUBLE F*CKING LINE. so you overtake a truck on the uphill o/t lane then as he is running downhill gaining momentum hes up ya clacker again. i feel sorry for them too in all this. my two bobs (pun not intended :big_smile:)
cheers

^ I spend alot of time on the New England Highway and this is what I am refering to. From Maitland to Singleton the speed zones have been lowered and the overtaking lanes made shorter.

Tweakes Ill grab a few pics during the week.

Dave.

Hey Dave, I just have the shits in general at the moment!!! I swear NSW is fast becomming a NANNY state!

As of late I have noticed that the RTA are making the overtaking taking lanes shorter and are making section's of road which are safe to overtake double lines.

How many times have I been sitting 20km/h under the speed limit and cracking the shits, overtaking lane comes up and I am out of there.

Now there are less time to overtake, does that mean people are gonna take more risk's ?

Ie, taking risks in section's they can overtake ? As in broken lines.

I wish I knew how these idiots think at times and there logic.

Dave.

hey dave,

As i design roads,highways for a living i thought id give you a couple of reasoning behind this.

when designing overtaking lane's first traffic counts come into play to work out how much traffic there is at a certain time and what speed there doing.

then you also have an issue with road reserve width's as some time they dont own the ammount of land need to provide 3 lane's 2 shoulder's and table drain's on the side, as land cost money to resume off people, they might decide that it is not worht it,

overtaking lane length's are to be designed as per main road standards which come into play with veriable's on roads such as corner's sight distance and access's on to the road,

so there isn't one set length that an overtaking lane has to be.
if you want to have a read about it.

this link shows some of the standards that they have to be designed by.
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/~/m...gn-manual/current-document/rpdm_chapter15.pdf

Latest posts

Back