Tents VS Swags

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomHogan

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing some new equipment soon as everything comes on sales over christmas time!

Wondering what would be a better investment, a good quality big swag or a 6 man tent where i can fit everything inside!?

any advice would be amazing!

cheers.

How long is a piece of string. I swag it on my own or with kids but have had to sleep in back of ute before or under a tarp but the swag is so quick and simple and warm

Mate it really depends on what you are doing - setting a base camp or a different spot each night. Once that is sorted - for me it is simple - Tent at base camp with a tarp for extra shelter -swag when on the move, with an awning off the Nav.

When i travel i usually stay in a place for a week and then move on. so a tent would be beneficial.
but as dave said, the swag is quick, simple and warm.

Personal preferance thing. Myself I like the swag and in the back of the ute that way I'm up off the ground. To many criters, snakes and crocs up this way. Its's fast to.

Swag for sure if I am by myself. This year at moreton I also took a fold out stretcher and put the swag in it. Perfect setup I reckon. I hate being inside a tent, too closed in.

I have both. The swag for short stays and the tent for longer camps.
I find the swag is comfy enough for a night or two, but after that i start to miss a thicker mattress.
The other thing is that when i stay in one location for more then a few days its good to be able to throw every thing in the tent and completely unload the ute, which i find hard to do with the swag hahaha

a tourer tent like this would suit for the tent side of things, we have one of these and love it, quick to set up but still a huge tent.

then just pick up what ever swag you want for overnighters with the boys!!

bryan

For me nothing beats standing up to out your pants on. No one likes to see these white legs that early in the morning :/

Don't think I can add anything here. Pretty well much said.

Been through the works over the decades from sleeping bag and tarp to CT recently. I've never been much on air beds or stretchers.

Buy what suits you. I imagine the swag (some are like mini tents) would be simpler and less wether(blowing over) susceptable, but not as easy to keep dry in. OTOH, standing up to pu pour pants on is so blissful at my age, but a great tent wall is a wonderous dance in the wind.

As said, short or long term and what else has to stay dry comes into play. Myself anything week long or less is swag. Or if moving each day also swag. I just hate the set-up times etc of tents.

I swag it (under a tarp if wet), I tent it (6 man for base camping - 3 man 4 season for hiking/ paddling), and sometimes I do both at once.

I hope you have picked up on the undercurrent running through all of the replies - that the best setup will be dependent on personal preferences & circumstances.

To help your decision making (or just confuse you further) its important to remember that you get what you pay for.

Cheap swags/ tents etc will leak!

Cheap tents will fall down in strong winds!

Cheap sleeping bags weigh a ton!

Cheap sleeping bags are cold (despite stated temp ratings)!

Cheap swags have bullshit thin mattresses!

Buy quality - wait for sales etc. - pick the brains of others (brands, models, would they buy again)

I use a sar-major swag (traditional style) - I'll buy something bigger next time.

I use black-wolf down sleeping bag - Looking at One Planet or Western Mountaineering.

Nemo Tent (3 man) - highly recommended (used in snow & West Coast Tas storms with no issues).

6 man tent was my dads - Its shit, but for the price...

Good luck!

I've got what I recon is the best of both worlds, a Southern Cross Canvas double dome swag, you can actually stretch out in all directions, while still being able to throw the flap thing across and look at the stars.
Going to get a roof top tent soon though as the swag is a bit cramped for me, the mrs & the bub all together, so theres another option in this debate?!

Attachments

• Coffs1.jpg
    Coffs1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 124
Heaps of info on here guys. thanks a lot.

Ive decided to go with a swag.
just got to find a good quality australian made one.
Any companies out there that come to mind??

Im going to either get a double or a XL one as i hate being cramped in when i sleep

ive got the oztrail mitchell works wonders that under the awning off the side of the nav works well if you do get a swag ive always been told make sure b4 your 1st trip you put it out in the yard and hose it to weather the canvas a bit or you may get wet 1st trip

kus89 said:
ive got the oztrail mitchell works wonders that under the awning off the side of the nav works well if you do get a swag ive always been told make sure b4 your 1st trip you put it out in the yard and hose it to weather the canvas a bit or you may get wet 1st trip

I did that with mine and my friend didn't with his. Take a guess who stayed dryer?
If it's too hard. Yes it was I, the smart

Southern Cross Canvas double dome swag, can't recommend it highly enough.
A bit bulky & pricey ($750ish I think) but bloody awesome

Funnily enough about waterproofing, mine had a weird seam on top that was upside down so water pooled on top then soaked through, I sealed it up with wetsuit repair cement, sent photos to Southern cross canvas but didn't get a reply, my mate bought one a bit later & they'd fixed it up, no waterproofing issues for him, must have had a few complaints

Latest posts

Back