Can anyone tell me what engine this is

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougyjj

Reaction score
showphoto.php
Hey guys,
I'm new to nissans and got a picture of a d21 under the hood here. No idea what type of engine it is, the bloke has said he thinks its a 1.8 or 2.0 but didn't know what type etc. If anyone can help this would be great. Sorry for the crap pic should have better ones by friday if this isn't enough.
cheers, Doug.

Last edited:
Sorry i'm new to this and can't seem to figure out how to show the photo properly but i managed to upload it to my profile.

Pre-88 Z engine. Is it in a 4x4? It'll be a Z24 if it is. 2.4L. You can always check the data plate on the driver's side guard, that engine would be original.

Yeah mate its an 86' 4x4 king cab. At first i thought it was a 2.4 then i was told it was a 2.0 or 1.8 by the seller, which started making me think it may have been a old transplant. I pick it up this arvo needs a bit of work though. Ill have a closer look and check the plate tonight

It is possible that it's a Z20 block, head and internals with Z24 outer parts bolted onto it. It'd be bloody slow. The Z20 came out in the 2wd so they'd be cheap to get hold of.

The Z18 is less common. Seems like some were imported from Japan.

yeah the bloke im getting it off mentioned it wasn't going to win any races. I just couldn't go past it for 600 bucks. i'll keep posted on what i find out and what my plans are. eventually want to do a bit of 4bying and make up a camper cab for it so i'm gonna need a bit more power me thinks.

I'm planning on pulling the KA24E out of mine, so it will be on the market at some stage. Perhaps with a local to help me, it might happen a bit faster :)

Yeah the plates say its a z24. so thats what i'm guessing it is for now. Got it home and threw a battery in it and it started first time. Needs a fair bit for roadworthy but from my first real prowl around it, it was definetley worth the money. Needs shocks and bushes, one bonnet hinge, a bit of rust work at the front of the tray, Exhaust from the cat back. alternator belt as well as a bit of tlc all round and a few little things. One problem we have is that the bloke had lost the key for it, and we were using a flyscreen key for the ignition, which was working but my girlfriend managed to lock it in the on position. Anyways decided i'd leave it for tonight an ask on here before i go ahead and pull all the steering column and dash apart.

And Pinelli, i might be interested, just gotta see what the funds are like at the time. Theres one in the troppo trader currently for 300, thought that sounded like a bargain, condition wise i wouldn't have a clue though.

$300 could be a good price. You would want to make sure that it in includes the loom and ecu, and it's from a 4wd or you will need to modify the sump.
Positives are that it is available now. Mine could still be 6 months off or more ;)

Latest posts

Back