ignition locked in on position

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougyjj

Reaction score
Hey all,
I bought i d21 4x4 86' yesterday as is but the bloke didn't have a key for it. It started up with a normal household flyscreen key and i got it on the trailer and home. Me and the missus started fiddling with it at home and she managed to lock the ignition in the on position by pushing the little black button in. Because we don't have the key we can't unlock this.

What i'm wanting to know.
1. Are d21 keys from the same era similar and is there a possibility that one of these could work.

2. Is there any sort of bypass for this lock if i pull the steering column covers off.

3. If anyone has had to go down this road, how much roughly do you think it would be to cut a key to fit the lock.

4. can the whole lock be changed more reasonably than having the key made.

5. or am i just screwed.

Cheers Dougy.

Go to a nissan dealer and get yout key Code and then go to a locksmith and theyll cut the key. cost you basically nothing. D21 ingition locks are notorious for being able to use anything to turn them.

+1 on the key code. Should not be to hard to do.
If it helps my old Pulsar 1994 could be started by a magna key even if it was on lock.
So just try all the keys in the house!

Yep just went down to nissan with my VIN. The lady down there looked it up for me and all the information came up on her screen but no key code. Typical. I guess i'll keep fiddlle around with a bunch of keys and if it doesnt work ill have to replace the barrel maybe

Give me a buzz dougy. I've got my keys on. Me. Also got an old Terrano with a barrel and key, yours if you want them.

Now, on the ignition barrel, how do you get it off the steering column? The bolts have got flat heads. Do i need to drill it out?

My key for the Terrano also starts my Exa and my friends n14 Pulsar. You could probably use a screwdriver if you wanted. I have a few Nissan spare keys, you could always try one.

Latest posts

Back