Fraser island

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdrinkbeer

Reaction score
Got a wedding to go to in Brisbane in October so going to make the moset of it and do a fraser island trip. Anyone done this? How long should I plan on being on the island? Anywhere else up there worth a look?

Fraser is pretty bloody big, a few days at an absolute minimum. I love Moreton Island myself but its a pain because the barge costs a fortune and there is little accomodation there if you arent camping.

I live in Hervey Bay and get across to Fraser more than a few times a year. As Matt76 says - the Island is bloody big. 'Cause I have a three year old my wife likes the idea of fenced camping so when we go we stick to Central Station if we are looking to hit the lakes for swimming or otherwise we go to Waddy if we want to do stuff north of Eli Creek. We just find it takes too long driving up and down the Island to do anything and then with the tides it makes it more difficult to time things. All in all we find three nights is the shortest we would go for considering ferry fees (we go from Riverheads - too lazy to drive 2 hours to Inskip to get the cheaper barge).

Thanks for that guys, i'm keen to hang around for a few days anyway, the missus might take a bit of convincing though! (she's a city girl)
How much does the ferry cost?

just drink beer i live in the bay also,
you want to hit central station lake mckenzie, eurong, maheno ship wreck on the back beach, eli creek is really nice. you can do all of this in a day but to really enjoy your self id look to have 2 to 3 day's on the island, as there are plenty of places to go and see.
camping at orchid beach is really nice, no back packer's there not allowed up there.
up that far you can go to the champagne pools and indian head. if you decide to go futher up up around the sandy cape is really nice but watch your tide's and it's probably adviseable if you had another truck with you, cause in the inland track around nagarala rock's is very soft sand but the view is worth it.
if you get on ther ferry in hervey bay your looking $130 return and that's your vehicle permit as well, if you get on down at inskip point it's like 30 dollar's but you start at the bottom of the island and it is a sh!t of a drive to eurong.
if ya can afford the extra coin come to the bay it's really nice here. and im sure me or big col could show you some 4wd tracks around the bay.

tell her there resort's swimming pools shops and resturents in most of the place's your going.
there is also fresh water lake's and river's to swim in, just go to google and search in image's fraser island or lake mckenzie or eli creek. and if those pics dont convince her nothing will lol

For what it's worth my better half says that the sausage rolls at the Eurong bakery are up there as some of the best she's ever had! She says she'd go over to the Island just for the sausage rolls. I reckon it is more to do with my bush cooking after a few days that makes them taste so good.

My wife is a bit of a city girl too and she says Fraser is civilized camping - especially with the fairly new shower block at Central Station. We got as clean as we could get at Xmas when we were on the Island and drove across the island to Kingfisher Bay and had a top notch afternoon. I got the fun of driving across the Island and she got the fun of exploring the resort. Ok - I also did get a chance to stock up on some cold beer too...

Of all the places we've been, my wife keeps saying Fraser is the best. I have a hard time talking her into going anywhere else. It also could be I get bogged when I try to go somewhere new and I have yet to get bogged on Fraser - the Navara just eats it up.

just got bak from fraser was there 4 2 wks id say 1 wk min stay so ur not rushed def reconmend going this is my second time and will def be going again. cant make it to sand cape at moment but rocks are all washed out

I just got back from Fraser this week. Had a blast. The sand was soft as we haven't had rain in weeks. A Pajero in front of me off the barge got bogged even before central station as he stopped in a soft spot. The south end of the island is limited as a few tracks are closed due to fires.

IMG_0400.jpg

Hey big col ..looks awsome ..

so drink .. when are you looking at goin .. you got dates ??

im looking for places to go in october / novemeber

Last edited:
Gadgetau, I have a wedding in Brisbane the last weekend of the month, have to double check that with the missus but going to head to fraser the week after that, looking at spending 4days/3nights there at the moment.
Will get the dates for you when she gets back with my bloody breakfast.
I'm also looking for places to go on the way up to brissie, travelling up alone so figured i'd take advantage of the quiet and go wherenever the hell I want

justdrinkbeer .. well if that weekend is the 24/25th oct .. that would work out great .. Im hoping to be up there so i can get to land cruiser mountain park on that weekend .. ( with jason . and hopefully others ) .. then looking at heading to fraser on the 26th .. also .. before that weekend i will be also traveling solo to brissy .. im commin from canberra .. .. let me know what those dates are you mentioned ;) if its not this weekend i can probably juggle things around to .. would be worth not going alone
ive also poseted a thread in the brisbane/qld area .. to see if anyone was interested in a trip to fraser to ..

cheers

Josh

Last edited:
Hi Josh, that is the weekend of the wedding, my plans are to leave Sydney most likely Tuesday 20th October and stay I don't know where, i'll be camping as much as posssible,have seen a beach a little while north of Coffs Harbour with 4x4 access on Google Earth, might just crash there. We are then planning to leave Brisbane on the morning of the 26th to Fraser, have no idea what the story is with ferry tickets/permits etc so I suppose i'd better find out. (help anyone!?) Going to aim to leave the island on the friday, and head home, not entirely sure on our plans to get back but the missus needs to be at work on the Monday. Be good to catch up there though

Ok cool cool .. sounds all good to me .. i can probably meet you somewhere in Brisbane ..as i will most likely be comming back from lcmp then .. if ya like.

As for Fraser Island
Here is a map
Download: Great Sandy National Park - EPA
and here is just about all the info ya need
Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park - EPA

You can pay for permits and camping permits etc etc .. online in advance .. which I think i will do as the line for these at designated areas can be quite long and can waste alot of time

cheers
Josh

Josh, probably best to meet at a site on the island that night, my missus is notoriously bad to get moving in the morning, wouldn't want to hold you up (which we invariably will).
Have you any idea how long it takes from Brisbane to the ferry?
Looking at the link you sent me, we have to book into camp sites in advance, is that right? I was hoping we could just wing it & see where we ended up?
Rich

I dont mind eather way .. i will likely be comming from jimni anyways so ill be 2.4 hours ish away from brissy .. so i can always catch ya on the way somewhere .. cause i doubt ill be up super early lol .. i have no idea how far it is .. havent been before myself .. i was thinking of gettin the inskip ferry

as for camp sites .. it does say about permits .. but you know about as much as i do

Ok Found out some more info .. if we enter from the inskip end of the island ..

you can pick up permits for camping and for the car at the rainbow beach office .. which is apparantly the first main thing on the right as you come into rainbow beach.

They will give a map including camping areas that are booking only etc etc ... there is also something close by there that can do an underbody wash and fish oil spray to help protect against salt water. Just got to get there :) .. and cash for the ferry across

could just aim to meet up at rainbow beach to if that works for you .. i will be comming from Jimna so would be fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back