Family friendly camp grounds near Melbourne

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Australia Day long weekend we are taking our two boys (2 & 4) for their first camping experience.

Can anybody recommend a suitable camp ground within 2 hours or so of metro Melbourne? We will be either in a large tent or a Camper trailer.

We can be totally self sufficient, but are not ruling out grounds with ammenities... And easy access to some 4WD'ing would be highly regarded.....

Oz day is one of the busiest weekends to go camping, usually packed out with feral redneck bogans. I would suggest anywhere the weekend after is a better choice.

Vaughan Springs camping area, Vaughan - Explore Australia

Vaughan Springs camping area, mineral water spring with old fashioned pump handle, alongside the banks of the loddon area with basic facilities.

Nearby are various state forest areas with various dirt roads and tracks suitable for 4 wheel driving including Wombat State Forest. There is a nice dirt road from the edge of Vaughn Springs township through to Daylesford which is a nice tourist town. Up to the north is Maldon township also a popular tourist destination.

The camp ground can sometimes fill up quickly so I'd suggest arriving early (it's a busy weekend).

Vaughan Springs camping area, Vaughan - Explore Australia

Vaughan Springs camping area, mineral water spring with old fashioned pump handle, alongside the banks of the loddon area with basic facilities.

Nearby are various state forest areas with various dirt roads and tracks suitable for 4 wheel driving including Wombat State Forest. There is a nice dirt road from the edge of Vaughn Springs township through to Daylesford which is a nice tourist town. Up to the north is Maldon township also a popular tourist destination.

The camp ground can sometimes fill up quickly so I'd suggest arriving early (it's a busy weekend).

Arriving early is not really an option.........:sad::sad:

Sounds perfect but.. Cheers.

Mate you have Toolangi and Murrindindi. I was n murrindindi not long ago and the new camp grounds after the fires are magnificent with drop toilets and you have the river and waterfalls and cascades.The camp areas go all the way up to the casades now also.

I stayed at Lake Bolac Caravan Park a few weeks ago. On the Hamilton Highway about an hour south west of Ballarat, so about 2 hours from Melbourne. Mature trees, golf course and tennis courts, the lake is basically across the road and great for fishing and boating. You can even have a fire in the old washing machine drums they hire for $5. Tidy but old amenities, free BBQ. Far enough away that I don't think you'd get a huge crowd - it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They have a website, so check it out. We paid $25 for a powered site fir the night and because there were a few families in our group, they didn't charge us extra for kids.

Mate you have Toolangi and Murrindindi. I was n murrindindi not long ago and the new camp grounds after the fires are magnificent with drop toilets and you have the river and waterfalls and cascades.The camp areas go all the way up to the casades now also.

Cheers Scotty

Is there a certain road most of the camp grounds are along. Im gunna bet a lot of people are still staying away from these areas..

I stayed at Lake Bolac Caravan Park a few weeks ago. On the Hamilton Highway about an hour south west of Ballarat, so about 2 hours from Melbourne. Mature trees, golf course and tennis courts, the lake is basically across the road and great for fishing and boating. You can even have a fire in the old washing machine drums they hire for $5. Tidy but old amenities, free BBQ. Far enough away that I don't think you'd get a huge crowd - it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They have a website, so check it out. We paid $25 for a powered site fir the night and because there were a few families in our group, they didn't charge us extra for kids.

Sounds like the perfect place for a VNOG Family weekend.

Cheers Bullwinkle

Slatey Creek Camp Ground, Located just out of Creswick near Ballarat. No amenities but close to some easy-med tracks and plenty to explore. Only 10min from hot food and public toilets if need be.

Latest posts

Back