2WD mods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danwil3

Reaction score
I hope you guys can forgive me. I am still relatively young and growing up none one in my family where very mechanically minded (where as i love going out to the shed and messing around with cars and bikes) so I am still trying to teach my self as i go so if anything i say sounds really stupid just ignore it...

I own an 89 dualcab 2WD navara that was given to me by my grandfather before he passed away (hence why i dont really want to trade it in for a 4wd just yet) but i would still like it to be "fairly" capable off road. I know it will never quite match up to a 4WD but is there anything i can do to give it a better edge out bush?

My grandfather put some el cheapo 225 70 15 light commercials on it so it already has a bit of a height advantage over a stock 2wd but I was wondering if i could go for a suspension or body lift on it? ? maybe "slighty" bigger tyres?

or any other ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...

Hey mate. I can understand everything you've said.

There are a few things you can do. Bodylift it by 50mm, get the rear diff fitted with a very tight LSD, convert the rear axle from spring under to spring over, crank the torsion bars in the front, and fit the biggest tyres that will fit, I'm guessing by that point you could probably fit some 29" or 30" tyres. They're your main options if you hold onto your 4x2 chassis.

thanks mate, ive had a few of those in mind already. As for the LSD it never even crossed my mind, i just went out and check and it has an LSD already but as for how tight it is i have no idea....

What "factors" would i have to consider with a spring over conversion?

Just get the LSD shimmed up, won't cost too much.

SOA swap would be easiest done by obtaining a 4x4 axle, but you'd have to take a change in final drive ratio (probably not a bad thing for 4x4ing)

Or you could just cut the spring saddles off and weld them back on on top of the axle.

You might also consider some recovery points on all four corners of the vehicle - under the front and rear of each chassis rail. Get yourself an equalisation strap, a snatch strap and (say) four 4.75T bow shackles - if you're going to go 4WDing, it is courteous for you to supply the gear that is being used to rescue you!

You could go further (you'll need all of the above stuff anyway, even with this) - fit a mount up the front for a winch. That might just be some framework secured to the chassis rails, or a steel bullbar. Depends how far you want to go.

We've done some off-road stuff in ours and a lot of it was done in 2WD mode anyway. 4WD should only ever be used when traction is very limited - if you engage 4WD on a surface that gives too much grip, you 'bind' up the transmission which will stretch the chain in the transfer case and (not or) may snap an axle or damage the diff(s).

Get some height under you as Dion suggests, equip yourself with the necessary recovery points and gear just in case you DO get into trouble, and go out and enjoy yourself.

Bit of inspiration... this puppy is a 2wd.

75578d1236782766-91-hardbody-budweiser-edit.jpg

I have seen a 2WD go just as far as many 4x4. The main thing I would be looking at is ground clearance and keeping traction.
As Dion suggested putting the rear springs over the axle is a good and easy way to lift the rear end. For the front end winding the torsion bars up can give you an extra 2" I think but it does effect downward travel.
Be good to see pictures of the improvement though the stages as well. Welcome mate.

Thanks guys, there were some great ideas here. Ill try and gather all the info i can on a couple of the options and ill go from there. Ill keep you updated on any modifications i end up carrying out

Latest posts

Back